‘88 pioneer fuel problems?? SOS.

In my 88 pioneer, i6 4.0L that I’ve recently purchased I’ve changed out the fuel filter and fuel pump/assembly after it sat for a year-ish. It ran decent with the old gas that was in it but since I’ve added new fuel in it runs like crap. I’ve added seafoam and got the oil changed. When it runs anywhere above 3,000 rpm and then I let off the gas it drops below 750rpm, stutters and almost/sometimes dies. I’m not sure what to check next since I’ve done the fuel pump and filter. Thanks in advance!

On 10/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, jdog said:

How are the plugs? Vacuum lines?

Honestly, I don’t know. I’m a self taught/YouTube certified mechanic, if you will. So I’m not sure what to look for or what is considered “bad”. Continuously researching and looking things up, so I’ll do that and see what I come up with. 

6 minutes ago, MulletDaddy25 said:

Honestly, I don’t know. I’m a self taught/YouTube certified mechanic, if you will. So I’m not sure what to look for or what is considered “bad”. Continuously researching and looking things up, so I’ll do that and see what I come up with. 

Post a picture of them and we can explain if they are good or bad

RENIX VACUUM HARNESSES

Vac harness 7151367

The vacuum harness that attaches to the front of the valve cover and includes the grommet/fitting, and is called the front harness, is Napa part number BK 715-1367 or is a Dorman 46003.

Vac harness 7151366

The vacuum harness that is closest to the air cleaner, EGR etc, and is called the rear harness, is Napa part number BK 715-1366 or is a Dorman 46004.

Vac harness 7151365

The tube from the rear of the valve cover to the intake manifold is part number BK 715-1365 or Dorman 46005 and comes with the valve cover grommet.

The Throttle Body to MAP hose is no longer available. Click HERE to access a fix for that.

Vac Diagram 4.0 Renix

Revised 2-6-2016