89 Base Bench Seat to 99 XJ Bucket Seat Upgrade

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking to swap my bucket seats out for a bench seat. I have a 89 Comanche and the bucket seats were reupholstered pretty recently so they’re in great shape, I’d be willing to try to work out a trade if you have a decent bench seat in your Comanche? If you’re still looking for bench seats that is*

Just noticed that the OP never received a response. In general, XJ seat floor brackets are slightly different to MJ brackets because there is an extra floor brace that is not present on an XJ floor pan. This brace raises one of the mounting points for the MJ seats be they bench or bucket. 

The center console from a 97+ XJ will fit but requires a different rear mounting bracket. It is a nice design and has more functional cup holders and is more durable overall. Note that a 97+ XJ console will leave about a 2-3” gap where it meets the older style dash. @Dzimm I believe is working on some sort of filler plate for that. 

The door panel I couldn’t tell you for sure but it’s worth noting that there is slight interference with the 97+ xj door panels and the 96- glove box and dash area. It fits but a whole 97+ interior swap looks much cleaner than just doing the door panels. 

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

@Dzimm I believe is working on some sort of filler plate for that. 

This is on the list yes, I haven't started any design on it yet tho.  Gotta find some time 2 of my trucks can be down with the interiors torn apart for measurements.  Unless anyone has a 97+ console they'd let me borrow or buy for cheap!

On 9/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Just noticed that the OP never received a response. In general, XJ seat floor brackets are slightly different to MJ brackets because there is an extra floor brace that is not present on an XJ floor pan. This brace raises one of the mounting points for the MJ seats be they bench or bucket. 

The center console from a 97+ XJ will fit but requires a different rear mounting bracket. It is a nice design and has more functional cup holders and is more durable overall. Note that a 97+ XJ console will leave about a 2-3” gap where it meets the older style dash. @Dzimm I believe is working on some sort of filler plate for that. 

The door panel I couldn’t tell you for sure but it’s worth noting that there is slight interference with the 97+ xj door panels and the 96- glove box and dash area. It fits but a whole 97+ interior swap looks much cleaner than just doing the door panels. 

Great information, thanks!  I’m hoping I can find seats from an MJ. If not, I think Krustyballer16 makes some brackets that will allow me to use XJ seats. 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:36 PM, elliot said:

I’m looking to swap my bucket seats out for a bench seat. I have a 89 Comanche and the bucket seats were reupholstered pretty recently so they’re in great shape, I’d be willing to try to work out a trade if you have a decent bench seat in your Comanche? If you’re still looking for bench seats that is*

Where are you located?  My bench seat is in a base 89. I haven’t found any rips or tears, but it needs the foam replaced as it seems to sit kind of low. It’s the grey vinyl. I can post some pics when I get home in a few days. Are your seats grey?