Wj Brake and Steering Swap

I'm losing my mind trying to sort out exactly what I need to swap over the Wj brakes and steering on my 1988 Jeep Comanche 4wd. From what I can tell I need the following things.

Wj calipers pads etc

2002 ford explorer sport Trac rotors that are the correct wheel pattern

1/4 spacers for the 4wd wheel bearings. 

Wj steering parts etc

Any advice from anyone that has done this swap is appreciated. I'm just getting overwhelmed with the 50 threads on 10 forums that pointing me in 10 directions

It’s an extensive swap as you will have to address your track bar mounting point as well as your sway bar link mounts. The stinky fan off-road kit has most of what you need but is pricey. If you do end up doing the WJ swap, I’ll take the old knuckles if you don’t want them. 

The parts list you have is good. You’ll also need a new drag link and tie rod, sway bark link mounts and track bar mount for the axle side to raise the track bar to be Parral el with the drag link. 

*If* your only looking for big brakes, then go with a Wilwood kit. Better brakes than the WJ swap and no major changes needed. Your knuckles have the big bolt on caliper lugs that work for big brake kits. Newer knuckles don’t have this. The WJ knuckles have a similar caliper mounting system. 

OK, I've done two on XJs. Skip the Ford rotors. I think they are a smaller OD.  Here's my list:

WJ knuckles, duh. Get the 1/4 spacer for the knuckles. Weld them on.  Plenty of suppliers.

You will need WJ lower ball joints. Not on option. The taper fits the WJ knuckles, again Duh. The XJ, ZJ lowers have a smaller taper.

Rotors, WJ rotors redrilled (try Iron Rock) or 07-08 Nitro rotors. 

2000-2001 Bearing Hubs, I hear the 06 TJs fit and have a bit longer studs threads.

Akebono calipers. They are latter ones for the WJ.

For the WJ rotors, you will need 1/4 spacers for the caliper brackets. For the Nitro rotors, you might not need spacers or 1/8th spacers.

I think that covers the WJ Big Brakes.

You can reuse the stock steering and trac bar. I did not go that route though. 

Now the cross over steering. I used Ruffstuff's 1-ton GM kit. Reamed out the TRE tapers. I did them Under the knuckle both times. Also, they do make insert tapers. You drill out then insert these tapers. I did this as a repair and also on the second time I did this setup. Now if you go this route, then you need an OTK (Over the Knuckle) trackbar. The first time, I went with Rusty's. Its OK. I went with it as it had rubber bushing instead of heim joints. Color me stupid or not. I didn't like the 'exposed' bearing for a Daily Driver. 

This last time, I started to fab up a track bar. I was going with Rubicon Express track bar bracket and track bar brace. I was going to use Ironman 4X4 axle bracket. That bracket cause issues. The guy doing the work said a bracket like before, meaning the Rusty's. I ordered Stinky Fabs OTK setup expect the bar. That includes his tack bar brace. The axle bracket fits nice, and welds to the spring bracket, thus reinforcing both. I also had Stinky Fabs spring bracket fillers welded in. That and (i'm forgetting whos) Dirty 30 mini axle truss. I really like Sticky Fabs OTK setup. The brackets are 1/4. Another to look at is Cav Fabs. I do have Ironmans. I will get a bracket for the axel from Sticky or Cav Fab. Or possibly use the offset bracket I got from Barnes. It didn't work out for the setup for a Passenger sidie drop Dana 44. 

Also, I am running 16" rims, the aluminum ones from a 2000-2001 XJ. The 15" steels would not fit. Some do get them to fit. On my first setup, I changed to WJ bearing hubs and 17 inch WJ or JK rims. I run adapter spacers on the rear. 

Also, I had to get 45mm length bolts for the caliper bracket, since they are spaced out 1/4 inch. 

13 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

Also, I am running 16" rims, the aluminum ones from a 2000-2001 XJ. The 15" steels would not fit. Some do get them to fit. On my first setup, I changed to WJ bearing hubs and 17 inch WJ or JK rims. I run adapter spacers on the rear. 

Also, I had to get 45mm length bolts for the caliper bracket, since they are spaced out 1/4 inch. 

I am seriously considering trying my setup (already have all the parts in a box) on my spare D30 in the garage just to see if I can fit my 15" eliminator rims over the setup. If I can I may try it but I bet it will be extremely tight. 

3 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

I am seriously considering trying my setup (already have all the parts in a box) on my spare D30 in the garage just to see if I can fit my 15" eliminator rims over the setup. If I can I may try it but I bet it will be extremely tight. 

I did run 15x8 Canyons on mine. I had to use a 2" spacer though. I did not try and grind the calipers. 

Thanks for the information y'all. I going to swing by the junkyard soon and get some wj parts to experiment with. Also appreciate the suggestion on getting the wildwood kit. My plan I'm thinking now is just get some parts from the junkyard and try a couple ideas and go from there.