Gas tank problems

So we are getting to the point of our build that we need to do something for a fuel tank. We are building a 1990 mj but swapping everything over to it from a 2000 xj. I've heard that the Dakota fuel tank is pretty close to the size of the stock mj tank. From what I have read the factory xj fuel pump won't reach all the way to the bottom of the tank. Can I just modify it to reach and it work correctly? Would the stock Dakota pump work if I wired it in instead of using the xj pump? Just trying to get this last big hurdle figured out to finish this build.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes you can use the Dakota pump.  Just have to adapt the wiring but everything works.  Below are the pinouts you'll need.  When I did mine I bought a replacement pigtail for the body side of the Dakota and cut the pigtail off of an old XJ pump to make an adapter.  That way everything was plug and play and I could run either an XJ or Dakota pump without modifying wires.

The 20gal Dakota tank fits in both the lwb and Swb MJ just requires some heating and pushing the plastic a bit in one spot to clear a frame brace.

2010-02-07_164326_pump_c-xzdqsnxqopp4bp2buzm401cf-1-0.gif

FuelPumpModuleConnector_3.jpg

22 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Does the Dakota sending unit have the fpr built into it. Obd2 swaps always miss that step it seems like

Fpr?  Fuel pressure regulator?  That is built in.  It's the same setup as the 97+ XJ fuel pump just taller for the Dakota tank and has a different power plug on it.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Fpr?  Fuel pressure regulator?  That is built in.  It's the same setup as the 97+ XJ fuel pump just taller for the Dakota tank and has a different power plug on it.

Yep, fuel pressure regulator. So it’s a returnless system that runs the correct obd2 psi for the 97+ XJ?