Wilwood Brakes

For those who have done the Wilwood brake swap on the front D30: I just spoke to Wilwood tech support and they could t answer this either. Are you supposed to use the early or late style unit bearing? I know there is a shoulder height difference and since the Wilwood caliper need to center on the rotor (and comes with the shims to do so) I am wondering whether or not the late or early style bearing needs to be used. The install video they have is on a late model TJ using the early style knuckles. Anyone have this info?

3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

For those who have done the Wilwood brake swap on the front D30: I just spoke to Wilwood tech support and they could t answer this either. Are you supposed to use the early or late style unit bearing? I know there is a shoulder height difference and since the Wilwood caliper need to center on the rotor (and comes with the shims to do so) I am wondering whether or not the late or early style bearing needs to be used. The install video they have is on a late model TJ using the early style knuckles. Anyone have this info?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wbi-513084/make/jeep/model/cherokee/year/1989

It's unfortunate that there is only one left, these are US made with Jap bearings and very high quality. 

Use that part# to cross. 

Knuckle and unit bearing for 1989........there you cannot go wrong. 

I will tell you though that you will have a ball joint issue, I do as well as many others. 

I just ordered new ball joints https://www.quadratec.com/products/56100_0010.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZaGBhBoEiwA8pfP_gd025Obi93a0ENP6P29W3onZf1qopAB29vEuqCmycnMNNhZRfunRhoCQNgQAvD_BwE

If that does not resolve my problem I will order a reamer. 

58 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wbi-513084/make/jeep/model/cherokee/year/1989

It's unfortunate that there is only one left, these are US made with Jap bearings and very high quality. 

Use that part# to cross. 

Knuckle and unit bearing for 1989........there you cannot go wrong. 

Is that the bearing you used? That’s the standard pre-mid-99 design according to the application chart. 

55 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

I will tell you though that you will have a ball joint issue, I do as well as many others. 

I just ordered new ball joints https://www.quadratec.com/products/56100_0010.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZaGBhBoEiwA8pfP_gd025Obi93a0ENP6P29W3onZf1qopAB29vEuqCmycnMNNhZRfunRhoCQNgQAvD_BwE

If that does not resolve my problem I will order a reamer. 

I just installed a new set and they came with the insert also for the knuckles. I have a newer non cad HP30 but I have a nice set of 86 knuckles I cleaned up. Wilwood really needs to update their application chart. 84-89 HP30 knuckles work. The D35 application only list the 97+ TJ also. 

23 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

You need to use 86-89 bearings with those knuckles. I used SKF BR930040. Later bearings won't center the caliper and rotor properly

I don't believe there are any differences on the shoulder height with the pre 90 unit bearings. The difference came mid 99 when they changed rotor designs. I have heard of some differences with the pre-90 but I don't believe it had anything to do with the shoulder height. The unit bearing listed above by @Jeep Driver is for 90-99 according to the application guide

2 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I don't believe there are any differences on the shoulder height with the pre 90 unit bearings. The difference came mid 99 when they changed rotor designs. I have heard of some differences with the pre-90 but I don't believe it had anything to do with the shoulder height. The unit bearing listed above by @Jeep Driver is for 90-99 according to the application guide

Make:
JEEP
Model:
CHEROKEE
Submodel:
BASE
Beginning Year:
Ending Year:
Engine Type:
L4
Drivetrain:
RWD
Engine Family:
AMC 4-cylinder
Engine Size:
2.5L/150
Hub Assembly Position:
Front Left
Anti-lock Brake System:
No

SKF only quote the BR930040 bearing part no for 1986-1989 axles. After 1990 they quote BR930014 which goes from 1990 to 1999. They sure do look different, but might be dimensionally the same. I guess I need to order one of each to make sure.

1989 Bearing

400.58000_AngleInner__ra_p.jpg.29c0a0d25dd58752465b57642bc27f29.jpg

1990 to 1999

400.58001_AngleInner__ra_p.jpg.7bf2f8ec53e1d180dee3ca04eb298b14.jpg

2 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

SKF only quote the BR930040 bearing part no for 1986-1989 axles. After 1990 they quote BR930014 which goes from 1990 to 1999. They sure do look different, but might be dimensionally the same. I guess I need to order one of each to make sure.

1989 Bearing

1990 to 1999

From what I’ve gathered in the last, the difference is in the bearing design but not in the shoulder height. Something like one is a roller design and another is a tapered roller design. It would be helpful if Wilwood would specify which one is needed but it sounds like maybe bothering pre and post 99 will work. The only thing that needs to be used is the 84-89 HP D30 knuckles because they had a bolt on caliper vs the floating caliper with the brake pad “wings” of later years. They show the knuckle as just 87-89 but that’s not correct. All the different unit bearings fit that knuckle though. If the above two unit bearings work with the Wilwood kit then I just wonder about the 99+ unit bearings. They also have slightly longer wheel studs

2 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

1989 Bearing

1990 to 1999

The bottom image is the one that I had on the '94 axle.

The top image is the one that I have now with the '89 knuckle and Wilwood. 

What I think the difference is-

The later design, the bottom image, redesigned to accommodate the ABS tone ring. 

The early design- I'm using the ZJ CV axles. I was concerned that the hub of the CV would not fit into the outer seal, it fits perfectly. 

As I stated, my 89 knuckle will not fit up all the way on the upper ball joint, I ordered Alloy BJs which have not yet arrived. 

Alloy states that their joints will not work with CV axles.....the reason for this is the tone ring.

I take my tone rings off, should not be an issue for me. 

People say a lot of S--- but never tell you what nor why. 

I'm taking my axles apart again for the BJs, I still have the old unit bearings, I'll take a pic of them side by side for you. 

Also, for those of us who have HD steering- 

The rotors are larger, my passenger rotor comes in contact with my tie rod end seal. I will double space....choose a material twice the thickness of the old shields and space my unit bearings out...this should give me a few thousandths clearance to the TRE seal. Just one more thing to watch for. 

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

The bottom image is the one that I had on the '94 axle.

The top image is the one that I have now with the '89 knuckle and Wilwood. 

What I think the difference is-

The later design, the bottom image, redesigned to accommodate the ABS tone ring. 

The early design- I'm using the ZJ CV axles. I was concerned that the hub of the CV would not fit into the outer seal, it fits perfectly. 

As I stated, my 89 knuckle will not fit up all the way on the upper ball joint, I ordered Alloy BJs which have not yet arrived. 

Alloy states that their joints will not work with CV axles.....the reason for this is the tone ring.

I take my tone rings off, should not be an issue for me. 

People say a lot of S--- but never tell you what nor why. 

I'm taking my axles apart again for the BJs, I still have the old unit bearings, I'll take a pic of them side by side for you. 

Also, for those of us who have HD steering- 

The rotors are larger, my passenger rotor comes in contact with my tie rod end seal. I will double space....choose a material twice the thickness of the old shields and space my unit bearings out...this should give me a few thousandths clearance to the TRE seal. Just one more thing to watch for. 

Good info, thanks for that. Those unit bearing changeover years seem to confuse everyone. Wilwood could really update their info also but I doubt they are aware of the issues. I installed a new set of spicer ball joints which are listed basically for every XJ, YJ and TJ and they came with the inserts that go into the knuckles lower ball joint hole. Was surprised to see them. It sounds like the lower ball joint insert for the pre 90 knuckles needs to be adjusted with that spanner socket to fit the ball joints better on the 90+ axles… :dunno:

i know your supposed to adjust them to a depth of .206 when running the old knuckles on the newer axles if you go with a diy big brake setup. Wonder what the purpose of that is