1990 eliminator rebuild

I was reintroduced to this forum by a member on a FB community . 
  Work on my 1990 Comanche just began . I bought this truck 10 years ago from a business man in Tennessee . It was in fantastic shape . The interior was perfect ! It had somewhat fresh paint that looked pretty great . Over the last 5 years more and more solvent pops came to the surface until it was a mess . I’ve decided to rebuild .  We’re e almost completed stripping it down to the bare frame/ unibody .  
   I’m doing something a bit different on this one than my previous ones .  Instead of having a lifted 4wd it will remain 2wd and stock height .

The rear axel will be replaced with  something longer that can pull the tires out 2 to 3” . I’ve never liked the way the rear tires stuck in so far .

420885BB-92EC-4FBD-B9CC-55D48D962B08.jpeg

71405878-F1DC-4C03-A8C8-12E83B68521D.jpeg

5DC1529D-8DDD-43D4-BF44-7A5036FC3D3D.jpeg

493954F4-858B-4006-BA98-761FBFB0F0CF.jpeg

8643AF5A-CDF6-45B2-8D5F-C9E4E0F8A87B.jpeg

I already have the future engine . It’s an ho that I had stroked for another project . It only has about 5000 miles on it  but has sat for several years . I’ll check the valve springs and the cylinder walls but I believe it’s fine . 

The bed is completely stripped and I am working on tailgate ideas. I’m considering swapping the tail lights to the ones off of a Cherokee. There will be some metal work to form that but at least I will be able to get aftermarket lights If I ever need 

6B6E2EF2-D9C5-4B07-96BA-F9B7B8A4C21B.jpeg

B60116E7-AE61-45D6-958A-51F00C4075B7.jpeg

8AB9D3A0-8A44-4F76-B038-B71A69BC519A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Comanchemty said:

Exploring different tail light ideas

The tail lights have a compound radius to them. The upper being larger than the lower and then the radius of the side of the bed from the top to the bottom. 

There really isn't anything else similar enough to graft in properly, thus why I went an entirely different route. 

Even making the patch panel was difficult. 

https://comancheclub.com/topic/53244-evolution-88/?do=findComment&comment=591968

love it so far. :L:  though I highly suggest checking out a few pictures of MJs with the vents removed.  they all look... odd.  also, don't forget to add a vent back in somewhere.  those aren't just for looks! 

the Liberty 8.25 is a couple inches wider than the dana 35.

the AW4 is a proven transmission.  it's not quite as efficient as a more modern trans, but that just means you add more gear or more HP to compensate.  :D   unless you're hitting the tracks and setting 1/4 mile times, you'll never notice the difference.

Honestly guys, this truck is just one of those “see if I can“ projects. My last truck was nice but nowhere near what this one’s going to be.   I hope !!!  
I live near Columbia Tennessee and there is a car show around the Square once a month. Mike wolf from American pickers puts it on. I think it will be fun to have something to show. I work all the time and I think that it will be fun to have something like this on an occasional weekend to show.

18 hours ago, Comanchemty said:

Can anyone tell me what this bumper came off of ?

7240963F-985E-4FC6-A763-2D128A45A2AB.jpeg

I was staring at this for like 5 minutes wondering why it looked so off before realizing its actually a Cherokee :D

That's neat!  Where'd you find this?