Intermittant turn signal problem

Hi

I'm having some random turnsignal problems.

Sometimes it won't turn on when blinking right. Left works fine, and its sticks when pushing down and goes back with the steering wheel. It just won't blink.

Anyone had any luck with cleaning the switch WITHOUT dissasembling the column? Its such a pita....

/mathias

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

So the switch clicks into place firmly and disengages cleanly, too, when going right?  Or does it not click into place at all?  If it physically works like norml, I would try replacing the flasher module since it's only a dollar or so.  That's something I think you can parts-cannon without remorse :D

Hi
By flasher module you mean the relay? Or is there another thingy involved?

The relay is probobly a couple of years old. If I remember right I changed the original round one for a modern square generic flasher relay.

Mechanically the stick seems to work fine. But since its 30+ years my suspicion is bad connection of some sort in the switch.

Been looking a bit closer at it, don't think I can do much without ripping the column apart.....

Done that a couple of times, its a real pain...

/mathias

2 hours ago, Ruxus said:

y flasher module you mean the relay?

correct. if you have another one, see if it does the same thing, or swap the one for the hazards with the turn signals and see what it does

I don't exactly follow what the symptoms are but before you go trying to rip apart the column I would check the bulb sockets for the front blinkers. If the actually switch lever seems to be mechanically fine I would bet its a bad ground in the bulb socket. It can produce some crazy symptoms like hazards working, one direction of blinker working and the other direction just showing solid on when you turn the switch that way. I just fought a problem like this in my 88 cherokee. Blinker dash indicator would sometimes even come on when I turned on the headlights. 

Thanks all!

Gonna start with the grounds I think.
Here in sweden they had to add extra orange turn signals below the tail lights. So there is some extra wiring that is probably spliced toghether with ductape, if I know the PO right.....