Resurface or buy new?

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

wait, what?  :thinking:  why or how could an older engine even do that?  :dunno:  

Its a characteristic on engine shut down, any engine. I guess one would have to look where the rotor tip is when vehicle is SHUT OFF.

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

A engine guy once told me when you shut the engine OFF it will always stop at the same point in terms of the crank position. Could just be 35 years of starter engagement hitting at the same spot on the flywheel.

Off the top of my head, I'm going to say that's totally impossible.

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

A engine guy once told me when you shut the engine OFF it will always stop at the same point in terms of the crank position. Could just be 35 years of starter engagement hitting at the same spot on the flywheel.

Since you got the flywheel already out, I'd take it to a shop and have them resurface it. True it up.

That’s wild if that’s true, I don’t know how that would be possible but :dunno:.

And I think I’m gonna stop by there shop tomorrow after work so I’ll see what there price is and go from there. Can’t hurt to ask. Also I’m not pressed to get this done quickly so I’ve got time. 

I appreciate everyone’s input.

I promise, my 4.0 does not do that.  I would have noticed that years ago.  when the power is cut, it stops in roughly the same amount of rotation and since the power can be cut at any time, that means the stopping point must be different each time.  I might buy it for a modern engine though, where the computer has absolute control over things and can cut power at the same time each time.