Electric Fan Wiring Question

I was having some issues with my fan wiring since the PO had completely unplugged/bypassed all the fan stuff and wired it to a switch on the dash. Anywho, got it all working again with the fan coming on with the temp switch and with the AC. In my Comanche it seems there is a pair of plugs that are integrated into the main harness that go to one relay which is temp switch only, then there is another harness that looks like an after thought that works with the AC and with the temp switch. I’m wondering if these two harnesses both run off the same fusible link, or if they’re completely separate systems. If they’re completely separate systems that leads me to believe I could run a second electric fan using the second set of factory plugs and not overload the fusible link. Just kind of thinking out loud here. Anyone have an opinion or suggestion one way or the other?

Ok,i might catch some flak,but i replaced my mechanical fan with a 10" slim profile ebay fan. I simply ran a wire from the + power wire on the aux fan,and grounded the new fan on the battery hold down bracket bolt. So i have two fans on one relay,and i did this 7-8 years ago. I live in south carolina,and have not had any cooling issues at all. As long as your radiator is in good shape it works well. Ok flame on!

20210328_190821.jpg

If you haven't done so already, download the 88 electrical service manual.  Search the DIY section.  The efan wiring is the same for 87 and 88.  I think for all Renix years.

There is an entire page on the efan wiring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 11:58 AM, SatiricalHen said:

I was having some issues with my fan wiring since the PO had completely unplugged/bypassed all the fan stuff and wired it to a switch on the dash. Anywho, got it all working again with the fan coming on with the temp switch and with the AC. In my Comanche it seems there is a pair of plugs that are integrated into the main harness that go to one relay which is temp switch only, then there is another harness that looks like an after thought that works with the AC and with the temp switch. I’m wondering if these two harnesses both run off the same fusible link, or if they’re completely separate systems. If they’re completely separate systems that leads me to believe I could run a second electric fan using the second set of factory plugs and not overload the fusible link. Just kind of thinking out loud here. Anyone have an opinion or suggestion one way or the other?

Just swapped out my radiator and clutch fan with an all aluminum radiator and 3 electric fans this week. The 2 plugs on the front driver's finder next to the head light are factory wiring for the electric a/c aux fan power and the temp sensor. The sensor plug is not suitable for powering a fan. The fan power plug one is fine for 1 electric fan, but can't handle the draw for 2 or 3 fans and will eventually burn up. Much better to add a relay with separate battery cables for the other fans. BTW a '96+ thermostat housing already has a threaded temp port built into it. Made it much easier for me to use a temp sensor there, connected to a relay, ignition keyed +12v and pos/neg cables from the battery to the fans.