Fox Shocks vs Old Man Emu

Fox has a huge lineup and wide variety of designs so it’s not easy to compare. Entry level mono tube Fox shocks would probably be the most comparable to ome. I’d vote fox since most can be custom tuned and rebuilt. I did run OME on my YJ and they were ok. Bilstein is another strong contender and what many here are running currently. 

If you are running a full OME kit, run the OME shocks, they are valved for the suspension and would give the best ride quality overall (for non adjustable shocks that is).

I have Bilstein aswell, they are not specifically tuned for the springs but I don't notice a difference at all in my YJ. I do not like the bilstiens in the front (5100) as they are a bit stiff compared to the OME shocks I used to have.

Fox is what I would go with if you are running anything different from the OME lift (as in not their full kit) I had a long conversation about spring rates and shock selection with ARB a while back, I agree with ghetdjc, I would just go with fox if its in your budget. Having rebuildable tunable shocks is the better choice.

I have installed a set of Fox shocks on my friends JK about a year ago and it definitely made a big difference, and he loves it. 

On 3/21/2021 at 7:45 PM, MercManche said:

If you are running a full OME kit, run the OME shocks, they are valved for the suspension and would give the best ride quality overall (for non adjustable shocks that is).

I have Bilstein aswell, they are not specifically tuned for the springs but I don't notice a difference at all in my YJ. I do not like the bilstiens in the front (5100) as they are a bit stiff compared to the OME shocks I used to have.

Fox is what I would go with if you are running anything different from the OME lift (as in not their full kit) I had a long conversation about spring rates and shock selection with ARB a while back, I agree with ghetdjc, I would just go with fox if its in your budget. Having rebuildable tunable shocks is the better choice.

I have installed a set of Fox shocks on my friends JK about a year ago and it definitely made a big difference, and he loves it. 

Would you mind if I ask what a full OME kit for an MJ would be? I do have a full OME kit for an XJ and it is really nice. Thanks.

1 hour ago, MercManche said:

Contact the guys at RRO, super friendly and you will have to do SOA in the rear and front will be selected with OME parts. https://www.rocky-road.com/index2.html

Thats about the only "kit" available.

I’d grab a set of perches and u bolts from ruff stuff off-road if going soa. Bolt on soa is a bit sketchy imho. 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:08 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

I’d grab a set of perches and u bolts from ruff stuff off-road if going soa. Bolt on soa is a bit sketchy imho. 

My friend used to have a comanche with their 6" kit D44 rear, never had any issues. But I agree, welding new SOA perches is the best way to go about it.