Swapping slave cylinder u-clips for cotter pins

Anyone have any tips or tricks for bleeding a new clutch system?   This is on a Peugeot trans.  I fear I may have blown out my brand new slave cylinder.  Installed new clutch, master and slave the other day.  Whenever I push the pedal in its dumping fluid out of the bottom of the clutch housing.  Have a new slave on the way but don't want to pull the trans again if I don't have to.  I filled the master with fluid and pushed the pedal in to fill the system, fluid went down and repeated then noticed it was pouring fluid out of the bottom.  Not my first clutch but still new to manual trans maintenance.  From what I have researched I feel like there was too much pressure in the lines and it blew the seal out of the slave cylinder.  Thanks for any help.

The aftermarket scene for the internal slave cylinders are crap. The only good brand that we hope you got was a Luk branded one. Some others have had luck with some other companies but Luk seems to be the only one that won't blow out a seal or a line for normal needed pressure for the clutch. Just time and patience, some teflon tape on the threads of some of the flare nuts can help make sure no air or leaks enter the system. 

Dang it is a Luk brand, same with the new one I have on order.  I mean looking at it thats the only way fluid would be coming out of the clutch housing right?  It didn't look like it was possible for leaks where the lines go into the actual cylinder?

The u-clips that hold the hoses into the housing of the slave cylinder are crap too and are too short to really help hold the hoses in place which is dumb. Someone on here replaced those u-clips with either cotter pins or used a longer u-clip and bent the ends of the clip outward to prevent movement. I have had two slave cylinders fail on me because of those u-clips sliding out.

Do the internal slave lines hook up with the same system as external, where you push the line in and secure it with a spring pin? There’s some o-rings in there that could’ve been lost I think. I’ve seen more than a few references to people not being able to get the connection to seal without also changing the line and o-rings.

Well just went ahead and pulled the trans again today, found the problem.  The bleeder fitting was broken in half under the u-clip.  Luckily got another on the way but feel a little better knowing it wasn't my fault!  Brand new slave too, didn't think to check those fittings for breakage.

PXL_20210321_212050483.jpg

PXL_20210321_212035477.jpg

On 3/20/2021 at 11:17 PM, eaglescout526 said:

The u-clips that hold the hoses into the housing of the slave cylinder are crap too and are too short to really help hold the hoses in place which is dumb. Someone on here replaced those u-clips with either cotter pins or used a longer u-clip and bent the ends of the clip outward to prevent movement. I have had two slave cylinders fail on me because of those u-clips sliding out.

That would be me.  OP, do yourself a huge favor and toss those cheezy u-clips.  Replace them with cotter pins before you put the new unit back in.:L:

Gonna change the topic name so people can see if they search for this.  Took that advice and swapped out these u clips for some cotter pins, clutch installed and working properly now.  Super easy to do, just pull the u-clips out with a screwdriver and pliers and pop in a new cotter pin in its place.  Easy peasy.  Thanks for the help guys!

PXL_20210325_172718975.jpg

PXL_20210325_172649587.jpg

• jeepmjga changed the title to Swapping slave cylinder u-clips for cotter pins