ccv problem?

oh where to start. I bought this comanche in june and am tryin to nurse it back to health. It seems to have a hundred problems but let's start with this one. I changed the ccv tubing coming out of the valve cover to try and slow that oil leak into the air box. It worked. Sort of. Thetruck was running good for a little and then after it warmed up it would have trouble at about 2000 rpm and 35 mph(stuttering) shifting. oh I forgot to tell you. It's 1988 4.0 A/T. Well after reading 643 posts I decided to start by changing the TPS. I had a friend who is a professional vw mechanic come and bring his little thousand dollar machine to check the volts coming out and going in of the TPS. He set it to the spec you guys wrote in some posts on the furum. Well I drove it for about 20 miles and it worked great. I thought the problem was solved. Then it started stuttering again. Kinda like it wasn't getting enough fuel. After rereading 643 posts I decided to change th O2 sensor. That was rusted and black as in burnt so I suppose it was the original. Drove it again but I'm still having the same problem. So I call my buddy and he says check the fuel pressure. What do i DO THIS WITH. On a whim I decide to open the hood up again and I notice that the grommet on the back of the valve cover is once again leaking oil. I disconnect the line at the grommet, let it hang over the valve cover and took it for for a drive. The truck seems to run a lot better. It almost shifts where it's supposed to and doesn't seem to stutter at all. So now i figure that this is an air problem. Now Here's my questions.

1) What should I look for next?

2) Should I try and get the valve cover off and clean underneath to try and solve this problem so air actually gets to the intake instead of oil.

3)would it hurt anything if I just plugged the hole on the back of the valve cover and put some kind of breather or filter on the small valve going in to the intake?

4) Should I go ahead and change the fuel pump? and what else should I change with the fuel system since I'm basically now starting to rebuild the whole truck.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Removing the valve cover and cleaning it up would be a good idea. There is a baffle inside there that can get clogged. Can't hurt.

Before you change the fuel pump, have you replaced the fuel filter? It's mounted on the driver's side frame rail, sort of near the back of the cab. Most owners don't know it should be changed regularly.

I haven't personally changed it yet,but right before I bought it, it looked like a tune up was done including the fuel filter. I just ran the truck without that hose connected to the valve cover and it's still stuttering around 2000 rpm's and 35 mph. I had my buddy check the tps again and it's on spec. I guess I'm going to get the fuel pressure checked tommorow and maybe change that map sensor.

I haven't personally changed it yet,but right before I bought it, it looked like a tune up was done including the fuel filter.

It "looked like" a tune up was done? Including the fuel filter?

Are you saying you crawled under the vehicle and saw a new fuel filter canister bolted to the frame rail?

Well, changed the plugs(ngk's) wires, cap and rotor. And yes eagle, I changed the fuel filter today and the crap coming out of it was dirty. The cap looked shot inside. You couldn't tell it was brass anymore. The plugs were all covered in black soot except number 4. It was white. Do you think the injector is running lean or sticking? Anyway the truck runs a bit better but it did not solve the problem. I'm still feeling a shudder after 2000 rpm. My mechanic friend said ask you guys if you think the CPS could be causing this problem. That's my next guess. Or do you think I should change the MAP sensor or EGR next? Everybody please chime in with a guess :D

• 2 weeks later...

Help me!!! I can not for the life of me get this truck to run right. I'm still having this problem where the truck stutters at 2000 rpm until it shifts. We replaced the TPS and tried adjusting it. The output is 4.2 volts but we can't get the input at 5 volts. Do yinz think we need to try a different TPS because this one might be faulty?

i was hunting jerkiness on accelation? should of paid attention to spelling and not the girls. not! i couldn't get to the low or high adjustments with the tps. was told the dealer parts were better. i had bought a aftermarket tps, so i compared it to the dealer one. the wires were a much better grade. as i have said before on this forum, will only buy sensors from the dealer. buy the way, i paid $14.00 less from the dealer. i have replaced all the sensors now. i have one stumble on hard accelation, sometimes. still looking for cause. 8)