Really Dumb Brake Light Switch Question

So I replaced my brake booster in the 1989 and put the brake light switch on the new booster. I think I put it on the way it was supposed to go but it does not work like it should. If I get under the dash and push the switch up or down on the booster to brake pedal mount it will turn on the brake lights but it does not work under normal operation.

Is there an adjustment procedure for the AMC style switch? 

It's finicky. It supposed to come from the factory with a spacer, that offsets it correctly, and it's ready to go.

If that spacer if worn down some, that may be why you can move it and get brake lights.

Potential fix is to line the spacer with something (tape/aluminum foil, similar) to get the offset correct again.

There are no true factory adjustment procedures that I'm aware of.

I ended up making a bracket and using a normal push style brake switch from a J10.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Big Dan said:

It's finicky. It supposed to come from the factory with a spacer, that offsets it correctly, and it's ready to go.

If that spacer if worn down some, that may be why you can move it and get brake lights.

Potential fix is to line the spacer with something (tape/aluminum foil, similar) to get the offset correct again.

There are no true factory adjustment procedures that I'm aware of.

I ended up making a bracket and using a normal push style brake switch from a J10.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I just put a newer brake booster on my 89 and it had a smaller hole so I had to drill it out to fit the brake pedal and switch stuff thru it. Just like this one It was finicky and up or down would make brakes permanently on. You just have to find the center point, then like Big Dan said put electrical tape or something in it. I think I put electrical tape on mine.