All Around MJ’s all around slow going build

I bought my MJ a while ago and have been messing with it ever since. I’m finally getting around to starting my build thread and due to recent changes I also need to get around to changing my signature. When I first got the truck it had front end damage ( looked like the driver side had hit a tree or something) that had some what been fixed by the previous owner. I’ve got to track down early photos of the truck.

So what I have is a 1990 Jeep Comanche Pioneer. When I first got the truck it had front end damage, the radiator was half full with sludge, and the head was cracked. It still ran and drove, so I replaced the neutral safety switch and a park/blinker socket to get all the lights working and ended up finding out from the first inspection it didn’t have a cat on it. Don’t ask how I missed that detail, I don’t even know the answer to that. I went to a local tire shop and had a cat put and got my inspection done. The next day I went to the dmv and got the Comanche legal.

I drove the truck to work for a couple months and then parked it because it was very sluggish and had really bad bump steer. I took the head off to have it rebuilt and this is when I found out that the head was cracked. The Comanche sat for a couple of years while I was in pursuit of a donor vehicle rather than just a head, so I could have a dedicated parts vehicle. I found a 1993 Jeep Cherokee country for pretty cheap and it only had rear body damage (backed down a hill into a tree). I ended up pulling the motor, transmission, and transfer case as one unit and put it into the Comanche. I decided since I had completely stripped the Comanche to do some front end repairs I would also swap in the computer, wiring harness and everything under the dash. So, I now have a 90/93 HO Comanche.

Fast forward another few years, I got the throttle body bored, put in 12 hole injectors, and I forgot to mention the Spectre cowl intake I had put in while the Jeep was still a Renix. This past year I have regeared to 4.10 for my 235/75r15s, while regearing a did the one piece axle shaft swap from the parts Jeep. And just last week I did a cam swap to comp cams 68-232-4 cam with there lifters and timing set and put in Mopar Performance valve springs, 99+ intake swap and pieced together a new stainless exhaust that dumps right behind the cab.

I recall the lady I bought the Cherokee from saying that the engine was a junk yard engine and it smoked a bit and burned oil. When doing my recent work, I did indeed notice that the engine was a 94 engine and the engine had been completely rebuilt, however the head gasket was seeping a bit. So my original plans of building a stroker are on hold. I have also welded on the hooligan off-road hinge supports and have so far modified the driver’s side door for quick disconnect and repaired the strike on the door frame ( do to separation of the top hinge the striker was tearing away from the body as well. I think that’s it for now if I think of anymore details I will add them along with any pictures I can track down.

to be continued...

Getting front end fitted up from donor Cherokee. My brother in law helped with the welding the inner fender skirts ( part of front end repair)here because I didn’t have any welding experience at the time and he took it upon himself to push the driver side inner skirt back a quarter inch before welding it in. This detail has bugged me ever since because the hood does not sit completely square anymore and all but one top fastener has broken off my aftermarket header panel.

923E6E8C-45B3-4F39-9DEC-9DDCCFB918A2.jpeg

I will have to find some of my pictures from when I first got the MJ if I can. I’ve had several phones since then. When I got the truck I was an android user. I hope my photos aren’t blowing out your screens I don’t have a functioning computer or digital camera at the moment.

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

alot of reading with no pics. :crazy:

:worthless:

I had no intention on writing a novel. I decided to document my work finally and just been trying to get things typed up from memory. There should be pictures included from now on I believe. And yes this thread is worthless without them I do agree with you there.

I have found that the later year belts are a bit big when it comes to clearance between the belt and the little part that sticks out at the timing marks on the timing cover. I have a ordered a tad smaller belt and will report back on that. The start up squeal is driving me nuts. I will try to get a picture of what I am talking about tomorrow.

So to report back on the belt situation, the 95 inch belt for 96’ and later Cherokee with a/c sat really close to the timing cover, I think it may have had about 3/64” clearance. I have installed a 94.5” belt, and with it actually tightened properly now, it sits comfortably spaced away from the timing cover. These pictures compare the difference and the 95” belt still needed more tension.

9B6F0719-0519-4FCA-BCE5-61A227747125.jpeg

323F2BDB-88C0-4649-BB6C-A785BE54D4FB.jpeg

I picked up an order of cinder blocks for my wife. I think she ordered way more than we need. I’m not sure if she’s trying to test the limits of the truck or what, but I’ve had to pick up an order of gardening soil for her a couple times before and each time was damn near resting on the bump stops.

A07646E6-29AF-485D-A1BE-3F4F50C7C955.jpeg

D677A5F5-FA2E-4B6F-BB94-E58731AB2C31.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I guess I could put this picture on here. I have successfully removed all of the pieces out of the floor and the two braces that go up the back wall. I do intend on welding all of these back in. Wish me luck on the welding part I an fairly inexperienced in that area but have had decent results on other welding projects.

635ECB13-D9D2-4BEF-A4D8-1CAEA8397224.jpeg