Aux lights

I just added some driving lights to the front of my truck and used the fog light wiring that came on it. now the manual says it is a relay'd system so I was just asking if you guys think this will be good for me and not cause any problems. To solve the low beam only problem i used the constant power for the cargo light switch that is not being used and put it in the fog lamp conector instead of the low beam swithced power that is usally used.

I have already used them a bunch. they work great. They are Dick Cepek 130 watt sealed beams. :Canadaflag:

Marty

I just added some driving lights to the front of my truck and used the fog light wiring that came on it. now the manual says it is a relay'd system so I was just asking if you guys think this will be good for me and not cause any problems. To solve the low beam only problem i used the constant power for the cargo light switch that is not being used and put it in the fog lamp conector instead of the low beam swithced power that is usally used. I have already used them a bunch. they work great. They are Dick Cepek 130 watt sealed beams. :Canadaflag:

Marty

If you mean you replaced the factory fogs with your new lights, and are triggering your existing fog light relay w. the cargo lamp switch, you're prolly okay. But the factory fogs were only 55W; you have more than doubled the amps through the relay circuit by using 130W lights. I'd add another relay next to the existing and have one relay for each light. Should be fairly easy w. minimal rewiring.

if you used the supply wire from the cargo lamp in place of the hi/lo supply wire, then you'll be fine...that's a fused wire.

the output wire goes to the relay, and powers the fogs. the input is the one from the cargo lamp, and as I said, that's just fused, not relayed...the stock switch can't take that kind of straight voltage running through it.

if you used the supply wire from the cargo lamp in place of the hi/lo supply wire, then you'll be fine...that's a fused wire.

the output wire goes to the relay, and powers the fogs. the input is the one from the cargo lamp, and as I said, that's just fused, not relayed...the stock switch can't take that kind of straight voltage running through it.

I think he said he's using wired the cargo lamp switch to trigger the relay coil only, and then used the existing NO relay contacts to power the load. If not, and the load is running thru ANY dash switch, you're right, the switch will fry. I always do a schematic of these things so I'll know how to fix if something fubars.............

the switch won't fry. well...not right away.

I've been running my fogs through a switch for over a year. changing that now since I have the relay control center from the 3.8 camaro.

maybe we should re-establish how you're running yours...

Here's the old post from way back when how I wired in fog lights in using the factory dash switch. Since my fogs are only 60W, I only used one relay as the factory did. But if you're running 100W fogs or above, I'd parallel another relay and use one for each lamp.

"Okay, I've done this using most of my factory wiring

on my 1991. The dash fog light switch gets input

power on pin B (the VIO/WHT wire on my 91) from the

headlamp dimmer switch. This is to prevent the fog

lights from coming on when the high beams are on. Cut

this wire and splice a fused 12V source which comes on

with the ignition. Pin C (the BRN/WHT wire) on the

switch is the output which goes to the fog light

relay. If you don't have factory fog lights, you

won't have a fog light relay. You can pick

the BRN/WHT wire up on pin #10 of the 10-pin connector

located in the left front of the engine compartment.

Use your meter to identify it when your turn your fog

light switch ON; you'll have 12V. Run a new wire from

pin #10 to the coil side of a new auxillary relay.

This will apply 12V to the relay coil to energise the

relay. Of course you have to hook up the other pins

of the aux relay too, which are normally pinned out

like this:

Pin 86: 12V from fog light switch to the coil

Pin 85: Ground (other side of the coil)

Pin 87: 12V relay contact input, NO, (I picked up my

12V on pin 6 of the 10-pin connector above, same way

the factory did it)

Pin 30: 12V relay contact (NC) output to your lights

By using the aux relay you protect your dash fog light

switch since all the amp draw from the lights goes

through the relay contacts. You can run at least two

100W halogen lights or more, depending on the amperage

rating of the aux relay you put in. Make sense?"

Basically he stated he borrowed constant from the cargo light. If he would have let the headlight wire the new lights would shut off when used his high beams. You should be okay that because the signal wire carries no load basically.

Should at least uprade the power wire into the relay or add a second relay. Possibly could upgrade power wire and install a heavier relay to carry the extra load. HTH

Where is that fog light relay located? I'm in the process of rewiring,cleaning, and repairing my fuse box. I saw a few relays, and boxes near the steering column but I have a clue where this part is.. It inst the silver box bolted beside the wiper control box ( the black box the velcros under the dash, right??)

yes I just stole constant power for my signal wire. Everything else is the same as the factory fog light system but now it works when i want it to and not just on low beams like stock. i thought I was pretty smart for doing it the way I did. :Canadaflag:

Marty

and I like to use the 130watt driving lights to flash people who don't dim there lights when approaching me lesson learned. jamminz.gif :Canadaflag: marty

Yeah, UB wired right, but I'd still add another parallel relay to protect the skimpy factory harness and new lights. Relays are cheap insurance........

I,ve been running a pair of 100W off the OEM fog light circuit for a couple years & no problems. Some states no like hi's & fog on at same time like in Oregon. Oh, & make sure you don't flash them at the wrong on coming brights. I did & got ticketed, & smoky was at least three cars & a 1/4 mile down the road but he wrote it :oops: anyways.

Wiring-wise, you're fine. The lights themselves are still running off the relay.

Legally, you may not be so fine. I don't know what the law is in Canada. In the U.S. it is law that "driving" lights may ONLY illuminate when the high beams are on, and they MUST go off when you dip the headlights to low beam.

Fog lights are just the opposite.