stock locking diff. in a d44 ???

My ,90 eliminator came stock with a dana 44 which in its self is unique. (to my understanding the d44s were only put in the metric ton package) Today I found that my d44 was also equipped with a stock locking diff.

Can anyone school me on this part?

1)How does this locker work?

2)How durable are they?

3)How rare are they?(Ive never heard of them stock)

Its called a track loc i beliefve. ANd i have it in mine. The rare part is them working for any time at all. Mine works sometimes but it like reverse better. Its not a true locker but more of a limited slip or posi. The don't brake per say but they just don't function anymore is what happens. You need to add the Limited slip (?Friction?) additive to you diff fluid also when you change you fluid. Its a little packet or bottle of a couple ounces for help wioth the clutch packs.

Now that i have said that...This is the only Traction device i know of for a D44 in a MJ stock. SOmeone like Pete or eagel may know more then that.

Cole

It's not "more of a limited slip," it IS a limited slip. It's made by Dana-Spicer and it is called a Trac-Lok. It uses a stack of steel shims interleaved with clutch plates under spring tension. The way it works is that normally the spring tension on the clutch plates creates enough friction to keep the two axles "locked." However, in rounding turns on dry pavement, where the outer tire travels farther (and therefore faster) than the inside tire, the unequal rotational speeds generate enough torque to make the clutches slip, allowing the differential to function as a differential.

This type of limited slip requires the use of a special additive to keep the clutches happy. Since most owners never serviced the rear axle, the clutches usually wear out after 75,000 to 100,000 miles. After that, it functions like a conventiona, open diff.

Rebuild kits are available for around $75. It's a very good option for street use and light wheeling, but it ain't a locker.

I noticed two roosters in the last couple burnouts so i decided to check the numbers on the tag. How difficult is the rebuild?(just yank the carrier, swap the parts and put it back together?) Should i wait until it dies or just take care of it being as I'm at 98k

also thanx much for the info its just what i was after.

Ah, don't give up on it until you have changed the fluid and put the additive in. My Dodge work truck is at 150K and it's LS goes open every 30 - 40 K. As soon as I change the juice and the additive, (or a couple times, just put in the additive), bingo- Posi!

The original Trak-Lok in my 88 XJ with a Dana 35 lasted a bit more than 150,000 miles. Change the gear oil in the rear diff, add a new bottle of friction modifier (use the official Mopar stuff, do NOT buy it from an aftermarket source), and drive it 'til it dies.

Open the cover and if you see spider gears its open and if you see a bunch of clutch packs you have the trac lok

Cole

Thanks Cole!

Now, the question is, is there a reason I need to know? Other than adding the proper additive when I changed fluids, would I do anything different?

Data point: My rig has 300k miles on it, so wouldn't things be pretty worn out anyway?

the tag on your punkin cover if you still have one will read 005 006 or 005 416 with a 3.07 ratio and 005 007 or 005 017 with a 3.54 ratio if it has the locking diff.

these numbers came from a 87-90 parts catalog found here

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html

its marked 88-90 but the pdf's heading says 87-90 so hope that helps

extra thanx to LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW for the tech as its been helpful on a couple occasions