Bench Seat--Seatbelt Replacement Dilemma

Hello, I am the proud owner of a 1990 jeep Comanche sport truck. I it has a bench seat, but the seatbelts are all but functional, and serve no purpose just lying there as decoration. I need advice from more experienced Comanche aficionados.

I was looking for new seatbelts in the cordovan color, and found only two seat belt vendors I narrowed my choices down to.

1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Comanche-1985-1992-Standard-3pt-BURG-Bench-Seat-Belt-Kit-3-Belts/254253826370?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818142525%26meid%3Dda79e8a587944c1497a8e9318063e2e6%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D123811081967%26itm%3D254253826370%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

2: https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/seat-belt-assembly-jeep-grand-wagoneer-1968-1991/#

I will say for #1, I don't like it as much simply because I am trying to get as close to the factory look as I can, but I'd rather not sacrifice safety because of design preference.

#2 Would be my most preferred option, but the dilemma arrives for me in that I do not know if these would be suitable for my Comanche bench seat. I want the 3 passenger seat belts, but I heard somewhere that the seatbelts from a rear Cherokee/wagoneer are not safe enough to use as your front driver and passenger seats.

If you were restoring your Comanche, which set would you buy? Would the second set (#2) be safe enough to use for my Comanche bench seat? I hope I wasn't too verbose, I want to be as descriptive as possible. In any case, any help and feedback is much appreciated. Kudos from Arizona

What I would do is search for Bendix, 80's Ford or 80's GM belts. Bendix actually made most of the American automotive seat belts. I learned that Ford used the same belt company as denoted by the later star burst on the buckle button and GM used them commonly. Luckily you don't have the AMC button belts otherwise you would have hell of a time finding those.

Also glad to see another AZ member.

7 hours ago, Comanchakazie said:

#2 Would be my most preferred option, but the dilemma arrives for me in that I do not know if these would be suitable for my Comanche bench seat. I want the 3 passenger seat belts, but I heard somewhere that the seatbelts from a rear Cherokee/wagoneer are not safe enough to use as your front driver and passenger seats.

Are you asking about the lap belt for the center position? I don't know what you heard, but the center belt in a Comanche is exactly the same as a center belt from the rear of a Cherokee.

Are they repairable?

My driver's belt stopped retracting, so I sent it off to www.safetyrestore.com, to get it fixed.  Shipping it there and getting it back took the most time.  So far so good.

Another company I found on in my searching is www.seatbeltplanet.com.  I have no experience with them.  There website mentions fixing Jeep CJ belts, so other Jeeps were fixable also.  

I chose SafetyRestore because 1) they replied first, and 2) the quoted estimate was less.

@eaglescout526 Thank you! I will try to look for some old stock then

@Eagle I was told the rear 3 point seat belts from the rear bench of an xj aren't a safe replacement for the for front 3 point seat belts. I don't quite understand how that would work, but I wanted to verify it in case it was true for whatever reason.

@87MJTIM They are likely repairable, but I only have the driver's male end, the middle female end, and the passenger's 3 point. Overall I'd just prefer to replace them.

13 hours ago, Comanchakazie said:

@Eagle I was told the rear 3 point seat belts from the rear bench of an xj aren't a safe replacement for the for front 3 point seat belts. I don't quite understand how that would work, but I wanted to verify it in case it was true for whatever reason.

Oh. I thought you were looking for a lap belt for the center position on the MJ bench. My original XJ didn't have shoulder belts for the rear and I've never sat in the back of the 2000 XJ, so rear shoulder belts never entered what's left of my mind.

Sorry.