back fire? wobble?

hey guys. Today I got to test drive my MJ and while i was driving it, it backfired 3 times in 3rd gear. I was just wondering what I should do. I am going to be getting new spark plugs, and will be cleaning the Carb. is there any thing else I should do like, put some fuel cleaner in the gas tank and other stuff??

I also noticed that when I would push the clutch all the way in while coasting, it would start shaking, but not horribly. I am going to be putting some new tires on ( the ones that are on are very old.) After i get the new tires on what should I look for if the shake is still there?

Thanks guys!!!

:cheers:

sorry, i forgot it was fuel injected. but by looking at the motor, it looks like there is a carb. been working on boat engines (2stroke) and I know that if the engine looses some power, it is either due to some water, or some dirt in the carb, and it sometimes is the spark plugs, if you've been running your engine with too much oil. (not fuel injected, but pre mixed fuel that you have to mix yourself) So I was just asking to see if i could get confirmation that there was maybe some dirt in the carb, if there was one.

Just before it backfired, the engine would loose power. and then once it backfired, it would regain its normal power. It's not a huge engine 2.5L, so it couldn't be that hard to fix?

Pete, I'm not sure if the MJ is an export, My friends gave it to me when it had been sitting for a long time and they were away in Massachusetts.

anyway, thanks again.

exhaust isn't louder than normal is it?

not sure what louder than normal is. :oops:

The sound does seem loud in the wheelhouse though. Maybe a rusted muffler? I haven't had a look at it so i can't say for sure. I'll check next time I am working on it.

take a look. quite possible why your loosing power and back firing. low back pressure leads to valves not seating and then back firing. more likely a cat than a muffler

gotcha. but I'm wondering. What is a cat? I'm new to this still and am not sure what it is. I don't want to fix something that is not broken. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm Post subject:

does the 2.5 TBI have a throttle position sensor?

i know i messed up and put my TPS in the wrong way on my 4.0 and it caused backfiring issues and funky running issues til i fixed it

I haven't taken anything off under hood that I don't know what it is. I am going to take some picture of under the hood tomorrow, and hopefully some of you guys will be able to tell me what I am missing. I know some things are missing, liek the A/C condenser.

thanks again.

:cheers:

Ah -- A furriner amongst us.

"Cat" is American slang for "catalytic converter." If they get clogged, they build up back pressure in the exhaust, which translates into loss of power and other disadvantageous symptoms.

ok thanks. yea, I know bahamian slang, but no so much american slang.

It's not like you're missing anything important, you know.

On rare occasion, we Yanks can even revert to English when we need to be understood.