E-Brake spring sprung????

Can someone tell me if the e-brake has some sort of spring to pull the peddle back up.

I was under the dash today and saw a spring on the clutch peddle(Does the clutch use a spring to return the peddle back?) so I used it on the e-brake. It works but I know it's not what is spose to be there. Does the spring at the split under the truck do the pulling back?

Can someone please post me a picture of there e-brake,clutch peddle??

One more thing I know theres a rubber bumper that keeps the e-brake from slamming back up, but it is missing too, Anybody have a extra or know of another one that will fit???

I don't knwo about the rubber bumper (i never had one) but the spring should have been there. Go to a Hardware store and pick one up. The one on the clutch peddle is to help in its return and make sure its all the way up.

Cole

I don't knwo about the rubber bumper (i never had one) but the spring should have been there. Go to a Hardware store and pick one up. The one on the clutch peddle is to help in its return and make sure its all the way up.

Cole

I didn't know if the clutch spring was right or not because one end went to a hole in the lever, but it was attached to what looked like a bar that supported the dash.

Where does the e-brake spring go? I was about to drill me a hole , but I thought I might have some luck here. I didn't see anywhere the spring would go...

I can get some pictures for you tonight, I have a E-brake assembily out of an MJ so pictures will not be a problem.

Also the spring at the equalizer helps pulls the pedal / cable back, you might also want to check if the front E-cable is working properly and not bound up with rust as it lays on the drivers side floor and runs thru the back of the cab.

I hate the e-brake on the comanche it always breaks just before the safety inspection is due. Has anyone successfully converted to a XJ setup yet? It would be better for offroading anyway if I could apply the brake with my hand while I'm feathering the clutch and gas.

Picture time :popcorn:

E-Brake assembly-

Close up from bottom -

Return Spring- almost the same spring as the clutch pedal return spring-

Image Not Found

And one with the pedel down, from the front-

Enjoy, like not real action shots there :popcorn:

Wildman Thanks alot!! I know a spring went somewheres on that mech.!! Thanks again for the picture next to the tape measure too, that will make it super easy to find one at the hardware store!!

Think that rubber bumper is still available from the dealer?

Wildman Thanks alot!! I know a spring went somewheres on that mech.!! Thanks again for the picture next to the tape measure too, that will make it super easy to find one at the hardware store!!

Think that rubber bumper is still available from the dealer?

Your Welcome :D

No, I don't think the dealer will have that rubber bumper, but if you go to the hardware store, look for bumpers that will be for sliding glass doors, like patio doors, I've seen that type bumper on some door units.

I snapped a couple pics for you to over the weekend while I was messing around with my brakes. Here's an installed shot of each, for reference:

e-brake spring:

Image Not Found

clutch spring:

Image Not Found

Where does the rubber bumper go? That may be why my e-brake won’t stay in the down position and releases and slams all the way upward.tipshades.gif

yours might be because the release is worn. but the rubber bumper is right here....

Image Not Found

I snapped a couple pics for you to over the weekend while I was messing around with my brakes. Here's an installed shot of each, for reference:

e-brake spring:

Image Not Found

clutch spring:

Image Not Found

Thanks for the pictures!!

What is that black box on the right? Is that the brake light switch? Mine doesn't look like that. Also does your clutch spring attach to a round bar dash support looking thing?

The black box is the brake light switch from a 96 XJ....I swapped in a dual diapraghm booster and master cylinder from it. I ended up also swapping in the entire clutch/brake pedal assembly, too (long story).

The top of the clutch spring fits in a notch at the top of the bracket assembly. I can get a pic of it also if you need it.

:cheers:

Jeff

The black box is the brake light switch from a 96 XJ....I swapped in a dual diapraghm booster and master cylinder from it. I ended up also swapping in the entire clutch/brake pedal assembly, too (long story).

The top of the clutch spring fits in a notch at the top of the bracket assembly. I can get a pic of it also if you need it.

:cheers:

Jeff

Did you have to make mods to the peddle assy for it to fit or did it go right in??

No mods, it is identical to the old part except for the bracket welded onto the front of it to hold the switch. BUT....it was an incredible pain in the ### working under the dash getting it in. Glad I did though.