88 Comanche Build

Hey everyone,

Figured I'd start a build thread to document my slow build of my 88 Comanche. So far I have only swapped out the headlamp switch, fixed the hood release cable, fixed a vacuum leak, installed a H4 headlight wiring harness with relay, and fixed the lamp in the digital clock. Whilst doing these things I have noticed a lot of strange wiring habits of one of the PO's. Bad wire splices, wire nuts, knocked cables, cables missing, cables just snipped... amazing. Anyway, I'm going to start documenting here. If there is a better way to post photos here, let me know. Attached is the first one from the day I took it home.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 12.55.45 PM.png

Was attempting to suss out the A/C wiring today and cooling fan relay but I ran into some problems. One being I can't find the radiator temp sensor and the AC Low Pressure Switch. I attached a photo of what I think the low pressure switch is. I have the connector for it (one cable is cut the other runs through the firewall. When I look at the connector index at the back of the electrical manual the connector looks nothing like that and the color code for the cables don't match. Can anyone clarify for a noob like me if that is what I think it is. Also I'm looking for the diodes for the cooling fan and the A/C system and also I can't locate the radiator temperature sensor! If anyone has helpful photos I would much appreciate it! :D

Side note, was it common place to use duct tape instead of electrical tape for splices back in the 80's or am I looking at the "handy" work of someone else?

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 7.27.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 7.28.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 7.29.12 PM.png

The duct tape you see is probably original.  Its a good idea to go through the harness and fix these connections.  There are crimp connector from the factory and should be replaced with a good solder joint and heat shrink tubing.

The fittings in the radiator are usually for a built in automatic trans cooler. If you have a manual tranny they would have just been left vacant from the factory.

Are you looking for the temp switch or just wondering why there are connectors missing on the radiator?

I am looking for the temp switch. But that is good to know that's why those ports are empty as well! A YouTube video I saw showed someone working on their Renix 4.0 XJ and their switch seemed to be near where those ports are.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while. Haven't really done much to it since I last posted. Now that I finally got plates on the thing I've been using it though to cart things around including my tools and a surfboard! Recently decided to chuck the bed liner because it was warped to $#!& anyway and I'd rather just have a sprayed bed liner in the future. Also clearing out the massive amounts of dirt allowed the bed to drain water after it rains now so that's a plus.

My next plan of action is removing the mechanical fan and installing a triple banger electrical fan shroud. Probably going to wire it so 2 are always running and the third kicks on after the temp sensor reaches a certain threshold. Any tips on that setup would be appreciated. Further down the line I'm looking to replace my axles with some Dana 44's. I bought it with these 31" tires which sure looks sexy but I have Dana 35's and I just checked the gear ration for the rear and it is probably a 3.07... I imagine that's why it drives so $#!&ty? Feels kinda laggy accelerating in 1st. Maybe I just forgot how to drive manual :laugh:IMG_8392.HEIC

IMG_8380.HEIC IMG_8382.HEIC