Inner axle/outer tube seal help needed

So... The DS outer axle seal started leaking on the MJ.  This is a non disconnect axle with an outer tube seal.  It's this correct from the factory, or has it been retrofitted?  

Took it apart, inner axle was rusty and pitted, but no signs of water.  I'm wondering if this wasn't an inner seal axle someone installed before I got the truck (u joint had been replaced recently).  We sanded it down and put some tacky Lucas red grease on it to help with leakage, but to no avail... It's worse lol.

So the big question, it's this the original axle setup or a retrofit?  Also, does anyone know what inner axle I need to replace it, and is it worth it to upgrade to chromoly?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

IMG_20200309_092716.jpg

8 minutes ago, thecodemonk said:

Retrofit. Aftermarket companies sell them but I would only ever run them as a backup or additional seal alongside the stock inner seal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

They use the stock axle shaft, or is it different?  And I'm also assuming I have a bad inner seal them...

Those are aftermarket outer seals. They keep junk from getting into the axle tubes. Inner seals require the removal of the differential to replace. You have a leaking inner seal, that's why fluid is coming out of it. It's cheap fix, but requires complete axle reassembly to fix. 

This is what I've already figured out unfortunately.  The outer seal is a standard timken Dana 30 seal (not sure how it's greased, but I did see the greasable ones on online during my research today). 

So, better question now is, upgrade to chromoly shafts while I'm down, or just stay stock?  Thoughts?

Depends...I made my stock shafts last on locked 35's on my dana 30, but I was really gentle with them and always carried spares anyways.  If you're staying 33's and below and don't have a heavy foot, you're probably fine.

If you have a heavy foot, then probably best to upgrade while you have it apart. :P

I liked running those outer seals for two reasons..

1.  The obvious of it keeps dirt out, and can help with a leaky inner seal if in good shape

2. It you do break a u-joint, it holds the inner shaft in better alignment to prevent the outer and inner shaft from binding and breaking the ball joints.

9 hours ago, thecodemonk said:

Depends...I made my stock shafts last on locked 35's on my dana 30, but I was really gentle with them and always carried spares anyways.  If you're staying 33's and below and don't have a heavy foot, you're probably fine.

If you have a heavy foot, then probably best to upgrade while you have it apart. :P

Kinda my thought; they aren't expensive, and I do have 35s...

I like running the outer seals as well however, the axle shaft is not machined for a seal at that location and thus you need to keep it greased very well so it doesn’t tear up the seal. For the inner axle seal I went with seals-it seals. They make an inner axle seal that is astronomically better than the oem ones. https://sealsit.com/product/economy-axle-seal/