88 Automatic Column shift adjustment

Trying to figure out how to get the PRND32-1 adjustment on the column shift. Looked in the FSM not much help. I know there is a cable to the transmission, but I also think there is a cable to the gauge cluster. Anyone have experience with this?  The P position is fine but everything else is off like between the letters off.

Trying to figure out how to get the PRND32-1 adjustment on the column shift. Looked in the FSM not much help. I know there is a cable to the transmission, but I also think there is a cable to the gauge cluster. Anyone have experience with this?  The P position is fine but everything else is off like between the letters off.

There’s a string in your gauge cluster that has a clip on the end, which is clipped onto your splint shifter. When the shifter moves, the string is pulled and the indicator moves positions. When they get old, the clip starts to slide off. Best chance is to take off your dash bezel and get an ice pick and move the clip. Be careful with the cluster wire though, it’s kind of weak.

If there’s another way, someone else can point you to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not getting the picture in my mind. The clip slides off of what? I understand the dash bezel removal, I think. The clear lens then the idiot light cover (dash bezel), then I should see a clip and a string?

I am not getting the picture in my mind. The clip slides off of what? I understand the dash bezel removal, I think. The clear lens then the idiot light cover (dash bezel), then I should see a clip and a string?

The dash bezel should come off and you should be able to see the clip. It’s on the steering column cover panel things, right where they end under the cluster.

I got it. There are (2) clips. The upper clip is a guide for the two tiny cables that control the shifter positions. The lower cable clips to the shift column that rotates as you shift from P through the various gears. The lower clip is actually what controls the position of the shifter indicator. The best way to get to that clip is to drop the lower valance it gives you access to the clip from underneath. Pretty simple but a pain in the a**, move the shifter adjust the clip and so on. Once done you have to compensate for the slack in the shifter arm as well. Thanks for the help, got me going in the right direction.

I got it. There are (2) clips. The upper clip is a guide for the two tiny cables that control the shifter positions. The lower cable clips to the shift column that rotates as you shift from P through the various gears. The lower clip is actually what controls the position of the shifter indicator. The best way to get to that clip is to drop the lower valance it gives you access to the clip from underneath. Pretty simple but a pain in the a**, move the shifter adjust the clip and so on. Once done you have to compensate for the slack in the shifter arm as well. Thanks for the help, got me going in the right direction.

Yeah no problem. I remember that thing being kind of a pain in the @$$ when I took it off to put in my full gauge cluster.