87-92 Tail light harness connector source!

I did my monthly junkyard run today and made a great discovery.  While looking at the engine compartment of a Cadillac CTS, I found the same connector that is used on the taillight harness on my 91 MJ.  I think it will be correct for 87-91 MJ.  This will provide a cheap source for a replacement connector, or to make a plug-and-play trailer wiring harness that doesn't require cutting and splicing the factory harness.

The Cadillac application has some wires in different locations than the MJ, so it will require unpinning some wires and moving them to the proper place.

This one came from a 2003 CTS, but I suspect many early to mid 2000s models like the CTS, DTS, and STS may use the connector also (disclaimer: I am not a Cadillac expert).  Included is a picture of where the connector is located.  It required a 10mm (socket size) bolt to be removed from a retaining bracket before clipping it out of the harness.

Additional previous discussion on this topic is located here:  

2004 Cadillac CTS.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

For whatever reason, that yard I went to had a bunch of those Cadillacs in it and about 50/50 were the V6/V8. I’m going to toss a few of the connectors up in classifieds, there are plenty more there if folks need me to pull them. 

• 3 years later...

Since this thread was recently referenced in another post, I wanted to add some updates.  This is my current knowledge on the MJ tail light harness connectors.

1986 MJs use a flat 6 weatherpack connector.  I believe this connector is also used in 1984-86 XJs.

1987-1990 (maybe some 91s?) MJs used a mixed Metripack connector with five 150 series pins and two 480 series pins.  Identical connectors can be sourced from some Cadillacs mentioned at the beginning of this post.

1991-1992 use a different 6 pin connector. These connectors can also be found in 1993-1994 Jeep Grand Cherokees (ZJ).  They are used for the same thing, the tail light sub harness connection, and are located in a similar place, on the driver rear, clipped to the frame.

86 MJ tail light harness connector.png

87-90 MJ tail light harness connector.png

91-92 MJ tail light harness connector.png

MJ tail light harness connector pinout.jpeg