Tear out the carpet?

When I pull the seats to fit the new buckets, should I tear out the carpeting? It's in okay shape, and there in no apparent rust anywhere in the body shell (love these SoCal trucks), but I've heard that a lot of you tear out the carpeting. Is this just so you can detect incipient rusting? If not, what other reasons?

If you do, what do you do for sound insulation? Temperature insulation isn't really an issue for me.

I took mine out to save weight. No sound deadening, no insulation...

If you have the seats out, I'd probably pop it up and have a look underneath. Yes, you don't live in a rust area. That doesn't mean there won't be any, as water can become trapped under the carpet.

Oh, dynamat is the stuff everyone uses to sound/heat proof their cars. It just sticks on. But it's not much to look at. SO, you'd want something over top of it, I'd think.

When I pull the seats to fit the new buckets, should I tear out the carpeting? It's in okay shape, and there in no apparent rust anywhere in the body shell (love these SoCal trucks), but I've heard that a lot of you tear out the carpeting. Is this just so you can detect incipient rusting? If not, what other reasons?

If you do, what do you do for sound insulation? Temperature insulation isn't really an issue for me.

in·cip·i·ent – adjective beginning to exist or appear; in an initial stage: an incipient cold. Had to look that up :brows: And yes, since you are pulling the seats, take a careful peek underneath w/o destroying the existing. I did when it was convenient, and luckily all was well.

in·cip·i·ent – adjective beginning to exist or appear; in an initial stage: an incipient cold. Had to look that up :brows:

Sorry about that. I've been told on numerous occasions that I have too many words at my disposal. But I try to select my words carefully. Force of habit.

i pull my carpet so it isn't muddy, and i would add a couple drain plugs to the floor if i were you (well if you wheel any way)

Thanks jared. Mine is a Baja Rig, and I live in a very arid region, so even serious wheeling doesn't tend to involve any water. :brows:

See how bad it is. If there's no rust, don't put any por-15 on it. Even if there is some, I'd suggest cleaning it off mechanically, priming it with a rust primer, and putting a couple coats of decent paint on it...

I agree with you.

If you put POR-15 on it if it starts to rust you won't know until its too late...

With paint you can keep it in check.

I cut my carpet under my seat mounts and console so I can remove it for muddy wheeling and clean it easy. I can also keep an eye out for rust this way.