Pre heater hose

34 minutes ago, tugboat95 said:

It's got something with emissions

Nothing to do with emissions. Like SuperSwede said, it just collects heat off the exhaust manifold and directs it into the airbox to help with cold starts. The vacuum lines are to close a small gate/ door after things warm up so that the truck pulls air in through the normal port behind the headlight. 

If it was me I would just get rid of it. No reason it should affect inspections, even in states that check for stock emission equipment. 

If you look at the intake with this intake door/flap you will se that the flap decrease the air flow a bit,  both in closed and open ,  so I just removed the flap and the air diagram to get the air to a maximum flow in  to the filter.

Can't hurt to let the engine breathe 

Emission wise it shorten the "when it cold outside cold start" until the engine manifold heats up. Manifold vacuum should go to a bi-metal temperature sensitive switch, which then goes to the actuator on the front of the air box. Choice is preheated air or front air scoop. Major problem is when the shield on the exhaust manifold is rusted away.