Lockers before Lift?

I was talkign to a buddy of mine about putting a 3" lift on the MJ and some 31's underneath it.

He said that I was crazy to do that before I got lockers put on.

Is there any truth in that, or is he just used to that type of thinking?

This is a DD with occasional trail riding. Nothing serious like rock crawling or anything like that.

Thanks,

-Will

Depends on what your needs are. If you want the ground and tire clearance, and the aggressive look of a lift, go for it. There's a lot of people that 'froad with open differentials.

If traction is of primary concern, more so than ground clearance, get a locker or two first.

It's a trade-off either way, traction or ground clearance.

Tell your friend you're considering a Lincoln Locker :twisted:

Thats the tru poor boy way of doing it :D I know I have one.

I wil give you my take on it, and keep the fact that I had my MJ built. When I started out the lift and tires were all I wanted. Then I started off roading, then I get into rocks :twisted: This is when things changed. I realized a roll cage is more important then traction or lift, but this took a few near flops for me to decide this. So I say cage before lift or lockers, especially if you wheel alot. If not get the lift and tires and call it good.

Patrick

Safety first! But even before a cage, I would spend my money on STRONG recovery attachment points front and rear. No matter how you build up the truck, you WILL get stuck someday and you do NOT want to be the guy who rips off his rear axle because he doesn't have a good tow point and the leaf spring breaks. The more capable your rig, the more stuck you will be and the harder the recovery becomes. I put custom bumpers on my 88 before I even finished the 4wd conversion.

Jeep on!

--Pete

This guy had good front tow points, but just couldn't resist hitting the dunes before the rear bumper was done. And the leaf spring break happened AFTER the F-250 that had offered assistance used the Ford's ball hitch and the ball ripped off and hit the MJ.