Floorboard replacement

I bought a 16-gauge patch panel from Lowe's. I think it was 8" x 20" and it was just about a perfect fit for the area I needed to patch -- from the "frame" rail outboard to the sill.

I'm not a welder but the father of a friend in NAXJA is, so he welded it in for me. It came out perfect.

Burn-through is a real problem with sheet metal. That was one reason for choosing the heavier of the two gauges Lowe's sells for patch panels. My friend's father mentioned that he had some problems preventing burn-through. If you have access to someone who can MIG it, that would certainly be better. Otherwise, crank it down as far as you can and practice on a test piece before you go live action.

Not having the hookup like Eagle did, I opted for the thinner gauge sheet that Lowe's sells (IIRC it was 22 gauge). Cut/formed/bashed with a hammer to fit the contours, then zipped about 1000 1/8" self-tapping sheet metal screws around the perimeter. I layed a bead of flashing cement before setting the pieces in, then smeared the same stuff over the seams and screwheads on top, followed by 3 coats of spray on bedliner.

The only "problem" with my plan is that the tranny tunnel underneath is now a deathtrap to your hands/forearms if you have to do any work in the area because of all the sharp pointy screws :oops: Makes working on the TC shifter assembly pretty exciting.

Jeff