89 manche adds transmission oil pan

Hi My manche needs a new or used oil pan for my tranie. I have a 89 4.0 shortbed 4x4 auto. I just fixed a break line and notice the pan needs replacing.

Could these be diy project? Any ideas out there? any pan's out there?

Would anyone know if there are any transmission oil pan's that could be a fit?

lennyk

The project will be easy, just simply unbolt it, drop it, then put the new pan on with the gasket. *Do a filter while you're at it, they're dirt cheap and usually come with the gasket anyway.

I don't know if you can drain the trans first or not...I've never worked on an AW4. The only automatic I did a pan on did not have a drain plug.

Should be only one possible snag for this DIY. The lower half of the dip stick tube is welded to the AW4 tranny pan. There is a slip joint about half way up the tube that has to come apart to pull the pan. If it's never been apart before, it won't slip real easy. Douche the joint down with some PT Blaster and let it sit a couple of days. Mine was a bear to get apart the first time. :mad:

You don't have to pull the dipstick apart to remove the pan. Just take out the bolt that holds the dipstick to the bellhousing and pull the whole thing out the bottom. It's a lot easier to remove and install it that way.

It also helps if you have the front end of the jeep up pretty high. The drain leaves about a quart in the pan if you are on level ground.

You don't have to pull the dipstick apart to remove the pan. Just take out the bolt that holds the dipstick to the bellhousing and pull the whole thing out the bottom. It's a lot easier to remove and install it that way.

It also helps if you have the front end of the jeep up pretty high. The drain leaves about a quart in the pan if you are on level ground.

True Chuck, but I couldn't get my junk high enough at the time. Wish I had a lift. :cry: Not to change the topic, but the last time I changed my tranny filter I forgot to put the little magnets back in. Did not notice any metal particles in the pan though, so I guess it'll be okay until I pull the pan again?

True Chuck, but I couldn't get my junk high enough at the time. Wish I had a lift. :cry: Not to change the topic, but the last time I changed my tranny filter I forgot to put the little magnets back in. Did not notice any metal particles in the pan though, so I guess it'll be okay until I pull the pan again?

Doesn't have to be up real high. On the MJ I just had the front end on standard jackstands less than 21" tall. On my YJ I can pull the AW4 pan with the tires sitting on the ground ;)

Should be OK without the magnets, better if they are there though just keeps any steel from recirculating

Doesn't have to be up real high. On the MJ I just had the front end on standard jackstands less than 21" tall. On my YJ I can pull the AW4 pan with the tires sitting on the ground ;)

Should be OK without the magnets, better if they are there though just keeps any steel from recirculating

Just took a peek at your YJ - can see how the pan would come out real easy with those meats. Great job getting the AW4 in and like the shifter. :cheers: I've got a hi-lift 4T jack now and decent jackstands, so I'll try pulling the pan including the dip stick tube next time. Want to get those magnets back in anyhow.

What I ment by asking the DIY was how to make one on my own, not how to drain and remove....LOL :D

Make one on your own? Same way you do it for any other vehicle. Take the pan off flip it up side down on a piece of steel and trace it. Then get out the plasma cutter and cut out your new flange.

If you're capable of the work, you should be capable of figuing out how to do it ;)

Why would you want to make one?

Edit - too bad you posted your wanted add for a pan today instead of last friday. Just threw away 2 of them.

I called Summit and it was a no go.

maybe I called the wrong summit?

Yea you can pick up a pan used or new...new from summit...fairly cheap by the way your trans is an AW4 if ya needed to know

nope, you called the right one. Summit'es website doesn't show any pans for the AW4

Junkyard is probably your best bet. Keep in mind that the AW4 didn't have any physical changes, so you can pull the pan from any Cherokee with a 4.0 and auto trans. Should be a milion of those in the yard.