88 Pioneer restoration

What’s up guys! 

Last Friday, after about a two month hunt, I picked up a 1988 4x4 Long bed Comanche Pioneer edition. This also happens to be my first vehicle purchase, so this website has been an invaluable resource for me. I’ve only worked on Subarus before this Jeep, so it’s a pretty fun learning experience. Overall the manche in pretty good shape, minus the floorboards and 31 year old seals, bearings/bushings etc. 206k miles, 4.0 runs great. Damn near zero rust on the frame. I’m currently going through Cruisers Renix tips, and am trying to figure out how to go about the floor pan repair. It has a few electrical issues, horn doesn’t work, no rear lights besides brakes, but I’m hoping that Cruisers tips will get most of my issues ironed out. I also need to get familiarized with the engine bay cause there are a good number of things unplugging and hoses loose. 

Hope y’all like the pics! 

Drake

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Bandit2190/slideshow/

I’m not sure how to upload pics from photobucket 

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

Nice truck! Welcome to the club. What are your long term plans with it?

Thanks man. I’d like to turn it into my daily driver in the next month or two. But I’m tempted to build it into a crawler after a drive it for a while. My brother has a sweet TJ on 35s that he goes wheeling with, but I’d just like to be able to go trailing occasionally

• 10 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 6:10 AM, Bandit said:

What’s up guys! 

Last Friday, after about a two month hunt, I picked up a 1988 4x4 Long bed Comanche Pioneer edition. This also happens to be my first vehicle purchase, so this website has been an invaluable resource for me. I’ve only worked on Subarus before this Jeep, so it’s a pretty fun learning experience. Overall the manche in pretty good shape, minus the floorboards and 31 year old seals, bearings/bushings etc. 206k miles, 4.0 runs great. Damn near zero rust on the frame. I’m currently going through Cruisers Renix tips, and am trying to figure out how to go about the floor pan repair. It has a few electrical issues, horn doesn’t work, no rear lights besides brakes, but I’m hoping that Cruisers tips will get most of my issues ironed out. I also need to get familiarized with the engine bay cause there are a good number of things unplugging and hoses loose. 

Hope y’all like the pics! 

Drake

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Bandit2190/slideshow/

I’m not sure how to upload pics from photobucket 

before you waste much time on the horn. Make sure the actual horn works. I spent hours checking fuses and connections just to find out the actual horn was burned up. My Jeep has gone through 3 horns since I’ve had it??

On 7/26/2020 at 1:11 PM, 1989commanche said:

before you waste much time on the horn. Make sure the actual horn works. I spent hours checking fuses and connections just to find out the actual horn was burned up. My Jeep has gone through 3 horns since I’ve had it??

Yeah, my horn ended up working. I just had to smack the button a few times. 

I need to update my build log, I've been driving it for a few months now. 

• 1 year later...

So I’m planning on selling the truck guys. Life has gotten in the way of my hopes with the project and it makes me sad seeing the thing sit. When I reach 10 replies on my account I’ll make a post in the classifieds, I’d like to see it go to someone who’d do something with it 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...