Carpet and Headliner Question?

Maybe I'm a complete moron.

But I can't trick the search into searching just titles, and I get 732 matches when I search for carpet. I didn't even try headliners after that.

I'm bringing my MJ back from the dead. Ok, I'm killing an XJ to do so, but there are more XJs to be had.

Anyway, the interior came out today, and I got a good look at the carpet. While not holy or anything, its seen waaay better days. So, I go looking for carpet kits and find this site:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpe ... odelId=249

I'm looking at the "ultra plush pile carpet" with the "mass backing" option. Anyone use them before? Any opinions?

It kinda worries me that they think the MJ went through '94. Man, what I wouldn't give for a '94 MJ (much less a '92)

Or, if you've used another company, let me know about that too.

I'd like to replace the headliner too, while I'm making the truck nicer, but I'm just not coming up with anything.

I'd like an ABS plastic headliner like can be had for Chevy trucks... but really, I'll take any headliner.

The current headliner in my truck has no carpet, and the backing is cracked in a few places, chipped in others and so on. I'd like to just carpet it and call it good, but have yet to stumble across a carpet or a glue that would work for that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Again, thanks.

http://www.ryanrss.com/Store/details.tp ... &starting=[starting]&category=Pallet%20Adhesives&headerpic=&headerdisplay=[headerdisplay]&set=1&page=1&starting=[starting]&formdata1=%26catsuid%3D62%26category%3DPallet%2520Adhesives%26headerpic%3D%26headerdisplay%3D%5Bheaderdisplay%5D%26

This stuff works really well. I'm not sure it would hold carpet though. I got some from work and used it on a headliner and this is the exact brand we use.

I fixed my headliner about 2 years ago. After I pulled it out of the truck I stripped off the existing material and recovered the headliner with fleece material from the fabric store. I used contact cement to stick it. Be careful with the conatact cement or it will bleed through the fabric. It took me about two quarts of cement to do mine. It turned out real nice and has held up great.

i put in a carpet from quadratech. it fits sort of. but it doesn't smell and weigh 49 lbs like the old one.

i made a headliner with material from a upholstery shop. i used 1/4 th of a gallon of glue? they said use a high temperature glue.

when I do headliners, or I should say, when my dad and I do them, we lay out the original backing, and soak the crap outta it with fiberglass resin, then it's actually best to put some fiberglass fabric down all the way around it.

the reason for this is that your headliner is falling apart is typically because of ONE thing...and it's not bad glue. the headliner backing is a layered material and all the layers fall off....when they pull apart, then they sag.

with a solid backing you're prolonging the life of your manche headliner.

I've even thought of using cardboard...but it just wouldn't have the right contour.

Maybe I'm a complete moron.

But I can't trick the search into searching just titles, and I get 732 matches when I search for carpet. I didn't even try headliners after that.

I'm bringing my MJ back from the dead. Ok, I'm killing an XJ to do so, but there are more XJs to be had.

Anyway, the interior came out today, and I got a good look at the carpet. While not holy or anything, its seen waaay better days. So, I go looking for carpet kits and find this site:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpe ... odelId=249

I'm looking at the "ultra plush pile carpet" with the "mass backing" option. Anyone use them before? Any opinions?

It kinda worries me that they think the MJ went through '94. Man, what I wouldn't give for a '94 MJ (much less a '92)

Or, if you've used another company, let me know about that too.

I'd like to replace the headliner too, while I'm making the truck nicer, but I'm just not coming up with anything.

I'd like an ABS plastic headliner like can be had for Chevy trucks... but really, I'll take any headliner.

The current headliner in my truck has no carpet, and the backing is cracked in a few places, chipped in others and so on. I'd like to just carpet it and call it good, but have yet to stumble across a carpet or a glue that would work for that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Again, thanks.

Here's a place I found when searching online for carpet for the Comanche. They do sell carpet for the Comanche and just about any other vehicle too. I have never bought from them, but just ran across them when searching. They list the carpet as being for 1986-1992 Comanche Pickup and have many different colors to choose from. Hope this helps.

http://www.autocarpetoriginals.com/jeepproducts.htm

For my truck, I took out the carpet and soaked it in OXY clean carpet cleaner then hosed the crap out of it. Came out real nice. Still some minor stains but its clean and doesnt smell. For the headliner, I removed all the old material, went to Walmart, bought some grey fleece and elmers spray adhesive, ta-da. Nice clean new headliner for around 10bucks. Hope that helps, good luck :cheers:

how do you get the headliner board out of your truck in one piece? mine's up there i assume, green, ugly, and non-carpeted ;)

never really minded much

and while we're at it can someone PLEASE fix that darned link thats makin my lazy butt scroll to read this thread :D

:cheers:

how do you get the headliner board out of your truck in one piece? mine's up there i assume, green, ugly, and non-carpeted ;)

never really minded much

and while we're at it can someone PLEASE fix that darned link thats makin my lazy butt scroll to read this thread :D

:cheers:

Its easy once you remove all the side trim pieces. I gutted my interior, so plenty of room. Pull it and fix it, while it is down dynomat the roof.