a few noob ?'s

well, my first question has to do with my oil leak, its a big one, (PO overfilled i think to look full, now leaks like crazy)the whole driver side frame is covered and it drips all down the side, back the the control arm. So what would you think is the issue?

My next question is how can i determine the trim level of my manche. it was repanited in the past so it has no decals. the PO replaced the bench with buckets and the dummy gauges, its a 1988 4.0 4x4 5spd, with no real options. can i decode the vin to see what i have?

thanks everyone

Was this the white one you bought off craigslist? I really liked that truck if it is. Big oil leak is more than likely the rearmain seal. You can fix it with the engine in the truck, its fairly common issue when the 4.0 gets high miles. If you do a search I am sure you will find tons of info on it. It should be an afternoon fix.

As for the options, there is a website you can run the vin on.

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp

That should help some. Get some more pics of that truck up!!

Do the valve cover gasket first. NAPA sells Fel-Pro gaskets, and it was under $10. I did mine in under 40 minutes, and it fixed a HUGE portion of my oil leak. If that doesn't fix it, then the only logical thing it could be would be an oil pan leak. If you do have to do the oil pan gasket, get the 1 piece seal (NAPA stocks these) and the rear main seal while you are at it.

The other question...I have no clue.

Hope this helps.

Do the valve cover gasket first. NAPA sells Fel-Pro gaskets, and it was under $10. I did mine in under 40 minutes, and it fixed a HUGE portion of my oil leak. If that doesn't fix it, then the only logical thing it could be would be an oil pan leak. If you do have to do the oil pan gasket, get the 1 piece seal (NAPA stocks these) and the rear main seal while you are at it.

The other question...I have no clue.

Hope this helps.

Good point, forgot about the valve cover, it is something to check too.

camjeep3

Posted this some time back, might help you with the trim package from your vin-

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=15

2nd page, half way down. But like one '88 I have, the window sticker was in the glove box, and the extra's that were added could change the factory list.

From your discription, it sounds like a "sportruck"

As far as the oil leaks, well it's start with the valve cover, and work from there, or just get every new gasket and spent some time and redo every thing, oil pan gasket (one piece rubber), rear main seal, timing cover, oil filter adp O-rings, and then the in-put / out-put shafts on the trans and transfer case, I have found that the 18 year old seals just don't hold up :cry: The '89 I DD I just went thru everything, and even a new oil pan, now it only drips a little here and there.

Another way is to clean the engine, get all of the old oil off it, and then trace down the leak to pin point it. But that's a crap shoot too.

Another way is to clean the engine, get all of the old oil off it, and then trace down the leak to pin point it. But that's a crap shoot too.

You should start by doing this, it's the best way to determine where the leak(s) is coming from. Then you can also add some fluorescent dye to the oil and trace the leak source with a UV light.