Epic MJ swap!

Alright, so here goes nothing. I’m a long time lurker, first time poster. This is a doozie of a project that I’m undertaking but I’m confident in my abilities, so let’s giv’r!

I’ve got a beat up 89 4.0 4x4 that has been thrashed on in the bush too many times and needs a new body. Lo and behold I’ve come across an 88 2.5 2x4 for the right price in near perfect condition. The plan... swap the 4.0 into the better body and with it, the trans, t-case, lift, axles, and all other necessary components, everything’s getting swapped into the new body. I also have a 91 Xj 4.0 as a parts truck for most things motor and front end. I’m trying to figure out if I can use the wiring harness from the xj and run it through the 88? I’ve heard a 91 harness doesn’t match up all that easy, but I can’t seem to find much info about it. Any help would be so much appreciated! 

E1629CAD-307A-4A84-AED4-5B852F4D6FFF.jpeg

5268C172-55B7-40CF-B1FD-91B15131FA3F.jpeg

92778599-DCD3-4F9C-9EBD-26C9BA35ECCA.jpeg

A9A74E1D-2461-426F-B5D7-AEA10BD84D31.jpeg

1CBD8692-7EBC-4710-9ECB-5BFDF9C6CF17.jpeg

38EDCEFB-9864-44AF-8320-040E7A107D61.jpeg

AA001431-CEFC-4FAB-90D2-5B1EFEE754E5.jpeg

looks like a solid "upgrade" truck  :L:   assuming it's possible (given that you have all of the parts on hand), I'd probably swap over the entire XJ guts and swap the suspensions around in the MJs so your original MJ can be passed on to someone else looking for a body for a crazy build.  :D

not everyone peruses the projects thread each day so your tech questions should go in the Tech forum so more eyes will see 'em.  :L: 

Thanks Pete! Yea, that’s pretty much exactly what’s happening. The xj will be everything 4.0 related. Most of the parts are in far better condition than the 89 mj, including all the wiring and dash. The 89 motor is strong and in better shape than the xj so I have some mix and matching to do. Long story short, I’m trying to figure all the the logistics of the swap this week while I’m away at work, and next weekend I start the real wrenching when I get home! Thanks for directing me to the right spot to ask all questions Jeep! I’m still trying to find my way around the mass amount of great info in these forums. The motor, mounts, trans, x-members, tcase, most things mechanical will swap over to the 88 without much grief. It’s the wiring I’m curious about and any unforeseen issues I’m bound to come across. Ideally I’d love to read up on someone who’s swapped a 2.5 to a 4.0 thread! Again thanks for the help. It’s greatly appreciated! 

53 minutes ago, COM86 said:

Looks like a fun build. 

Fun is the plan! Frustration might be the outcome haha! Excited to get it going! I’ll post progress as I go

3 hours ago, JoFro said:

Fun is the plan! Frustration might be the outcome haha! Excited to get it going! I’ll post progress as I go

Ah yes, the Joy's of working on an old truck. Frustrated, bruised knuckles, and grease as sunscreen. But when you get done, someone will probably say why'd did you do that for..., and your reply is because I wanted to. That is all that matters. 

• 1 year later...