WHAT IS MY 86 TRANSMISSION?

i have an 86 with the 2.5l four.   The tranny is a 4 speed manual.  Jeepforums indicate that it could be either an Aislin AX4 or a Borg Warner T4.  Since they use different fluids, and I want to change it, the difference may be important.  One uses 90 wt gear oil , and one uses Dextron II....

i have an 86 with the 2.5l four.   The tranny is a 4 speed manual.  Jeepforums indicate that it could be either an Aislin AX4 or a Borg Warner T4.  Since they use different fluids, and I want to change it, the difference may be important.  One uses 90 wt gear oil , and one uses Dextron II....

Should be Aisin for that year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 6/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, ruralandalone said:

a picture would help clear it up for sure. :L: 

AMC used the T4 and T5 as "alternate standard" transmissions in the 1984 and 1985 Cherokee because they were able to source enough AX-4 and AX-5 transmissions. By 1986 I think the supply line issues had been worked out. I don't think I've ever heard of the T4 and T5 being used in 1986.