Bed Sides!!!

Well I've been saying I was going to do this for quite sometime.. and well today was a really slow day in the hanger.. so I had alot of extra time on my hands.. so I decided I would crunch some math on profile of the bed sides.. and spent about 2-3 hours getting the Sight lines layed out... god I hate jeep engineers.. can't make it a simple god damn profile could ya!..?

well here is the finished product... it's only a 4.5' section cause that's all I needed to replace..

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 010ff3.jpg

Yea, that's a good start, now what I can't figure out is how to do the double step flang for the wheel flairs???

I need to make about 4 pairs of the side panels, at the wheel wells, so after the day job slow down in December.......I'll be toying with this.

And I agree, there are very few stright line on the box sides :mad:

yeah for those ddbl step flanges for the flairs.. I'm just going to Cut them out and just put a cut every 1" and to all the bends seperatlely.. in theory it should work.. but we all know how stuff that work in theroy work in actuallity.... so if you dream up a good method let me know and vice versa

Do ya realy need the lip fer the flair , the hard part is done but i agree u

would need a bead roler to do it but then u would need to straighten out

every bend after that and the cost in labor in doing so would make the

panels very expensive if u wer to make them for retail. also if u cut n

bend like u said all the little cuts will premote rust and stress points which

i don't think is a good idea.

hey rockhard when did u become a AMSOIL dealer?

The idea I came up with was to make a "mold" and press the double lip into the panel. I ran this thru someone else, and they though it would work.

It just so happens that the new shop I'm moving into just happens to have an old hyd press sitting there-

I know this would make a hell of a press for doing u-joints :brows:

There is a 3 foot plate on the ram, and in the foreground is the hyd/elect unit.

I have not fired it up yet, but everthing is connected, so one of these days......

I'm tied up with some other jobs now, so it will be a couple of months before I'm ready to try this idea out.

hey rockhard when did u become a AMSOIL dealer?
Just got all my dealer crap the other day, so I'm a fresh dealer :D

I'm tied up with some other jobs now, so it will be a couple of months before I'm ready to try this idea out.
I think I need to be in the presence of this thing when you decide to play with it. It looks pretty cool, we can test a matchbox car or something in it so see how flat it will get! ;)

all the little cuts will premote rust and stress points which

i don't think is a good idea.

the stress points happen when you use too sharp of a bend radius. The rusting can be treated with an etching acid, and then you can prime it right after it's treated. I like a zinc cromate primer, and it works out for having one of those darker finishes later on. :brows: