Weld in rockrail ?'s

TNT

I'm replacing the rockers on my '89 MJ with some 2"x6" steel tube.

I'm trying to decide if I should extend them to the rear wheel openning and trim the box some. I think this way would look the best and keep me from getting hung-up on the back of the cab.

My other choice would be to cut off the box at the body line and just do the cab. My worry is getting hung up on the cab if I had to back up after sliding across a boulder.

I think the first choice would probably look and work better.

Behind the tire my plan is to cut the box off at the body line and the bumper will wrap around underneath to protect it. The box will also have steel plate added for protection for when it get wacked by something.

Let me know what you think.

Tim,

Have you thought about doing something like this?

slider_design.jpg

I know it may be overkill. However you could replace the rockers as mentioned (red) and than attach a slider (green) to them. If you ever decided you wanted to tie in an exo (or whatever) you could tie it into the rock rails (green) and even make it removable via bolts or whatnot.

This may be the route I go as my rockers are on the fritz as well.

Just another idea for you... :cheers:

run it back to the rear wheel opening.

the area directly behind the cab is one of the most abused places on my truck.

If you ran it back to the rear wheels you'd at least have a pivot point back there, so your bed wouldn't end up as crushed as mine.

I loved my rock sliders, I used them to pivot on things all the time.

As soon as I got lazy and didn't put them on my body damage increased ten fold.

Of course, that may have something to do with the places I started wheeling at.

Tim,

Have you thought about doing something like this?

slider_design.jpg

I know it may be overkill. However you could replace the rockers as mentioned (red) and than attach a slider (green) to them. If you ever decided you wanted to tie in an exo (or whatever) you could tie it into the rock rails (green) and even make it removable via bolts or whatnot.

This may be the route I go as my rockers are on the fritz as well.

Just another idea for you... :cheers:

The plan is 2"x6" tube would be run at the red line from the front of the cab to the rear wheelwell. The box will be cut to clear the tube. I might add a piece about 1"x1.5" tube even with the top of the 2"x6" tube to make it wider.

I'm eliminating the pinch seam making the bottom of the tube even with the cab floor. I plan on making braces to connect the tube to the frame rails.

I was also thinking of making boatsides to keep the cab supports from getting hung up.

The boxside will be plated with 16 gauge steel from the bodyline above the rear flare to the bottom. It will also wrap around the back and have different tallights will be added.

I will probably plate my street doors on the bottom 8", for trail use some half doors will be made and fully plated.

I'm planning on a cage but not a full exo cage. The rollcage will start in the box and connect to an external roof halo with the front tube going threw the fender and tieing into the rockrails. A windshield cross brace and a vertical support tube are also planned. A tube will also run along inside the fender, go threw the header panel to the bumper. It will also tie into the front suspension and go across the engine compartment to tie into the other side. The center of this tube will be removable.

I was planning somehting very similar for my cage when I cut the back of the MJ off.

external roof halo, external a pillar bars down into the fenders and into the welded in rockers.

THen run the b pillar tubes into the cab so I can run harness and seat stuff off the cage. Tie the b pillar tubes into one of the rock rail frame tie ins. Of course the frame will get plated.

I was planning somehting very similar for my cage when I cut the back of the MJ off.

external roof halo, external a pillar bars down into the fenders and into the welded in rockers.

THen run the b pillar tubes into the cab so I can run harness and seat stuff off the cage. Tie the b pillar tubes into one of the rock rail frame tie ins. Of course the frame will get plated.

We're on the same page about the cage design.

go to this build thread , he has done what ur wantn to do and done a mighty fine job of it to.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2557

about halfway down on the first page

Thanks for the link.

I plan on keeping the box, but a truggy would be sweet too.

I like the cage design. It is about what I have planned.