Cracked NP242 Tailshaft Housing

I've been losing a little transfer case fluid for a while and today I saw this.  My question is, is the tail shaft housing the same between the 242 and the 231?  It's a lot harder to find 242s.  If I could go to the pull a part, with some snap ring pliers, a socket set and some other small tools, I think I could get one pretty easily.  I'd just have to make sure they're the same.  I did notice that there are some 242 cases that don't have a provision for the speedometer gear.  I've swapped plenty of transfer cases, but I've never taken one apart, so I'm just a little ignorant.

IMG_20190518_120911156.jpg

4 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

I cracked about 1/3 chunk out of mine and JB welded it back on. that was 5 years ago and it's still holding up. no issues.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well if it's not structural, then it might be worth trying.  I just got back from the pull a part with no luck.  I found several WJs with 242s, but they were too new and didn't accept a speedometer gear.

I believe there is a bearing in that housing. My 231 had a bearing in the back that got driven too far and crack the housing, the only way I knew that is when I took it apart. They might share the same tail housing and they're much easier to come by.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

The housing that I have and the ones from the 231 are definitely different from what I've seen.  Even the housing on the 242 of the WJ was different because it didn't have a spot for the speedometer gear.  Fortunately, when I removed the housing, the crack is just superficial.  The missing third of the speedometer gear o-ring is probably where all my fluid was coming out.  After replacing it and the rear seal, I haven't had any issues.