Unusual transfer shift bezel

schardein

This is from an 85 XJ, so not really an MJ thing, but I've never seen one like it before, so thought I'd share.  I don't know what model of transfer case this is for.  Notice the "fine print" in the middle:  FULLY ENGAGE 4WD BEFORE LOW.

IMG_4350.jpg

That's for an NP228/229 TC.  Inside the cab, behind the transmission gearshifter, should also be a 2-position switch (lever operated) with "2WD" and "4WD" markings on it.  It's actually a vacuum switch that engages 4WD (mode), and then you select the range (hi or low) with the manual lever sticking out of that ^^^ cover plate.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np2xx-early

On 5/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, mjeff87 said:

That's for an NP228/229 TC.  Inside the cab, behind the transmission gearshifter, should also be a 2-position switch (lever operated) with "2WD" and "4WD" markings on it.  It's actually a vacuum switch that engages 4WD (mode), and then you select the range (hi or low) with the manual lever sticking out of that ^^^ cover plate.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np2xx-early

Good info, and thanks for the reply.  I think there are very few parts for XJ/MJs that I have not seen, but this was a new one for me.  I must have missed seeing the vacuum switch, but iirc the rear half of the center console was broken off and gone.

I have an 86 XJ Waggy parts vehicle that has that and the vac switch. My 86 Grand Waggy had that setup too, but the shifter is in a different spot on those. The vac switch setup was cool until the t case exploded going down the road at 30 MPH. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, schardein said:

Good info, and thanks for the reply.  I think there are very few parts for XJ/MJs that I have not seen, but this was a new one for me.  I must have missed seeing the vacuum switch, but iirc the rear half of the center console was broken off and gone.

I think the switch was where the little "coin tray" is in the newer consoles. 

That's why I love the very earliest XJs. So much early installment weirdness and strange parts that were only used on a handful of vehicles. Then Chrysler got involved and Jeep started acting like a real car company. Boring!

yep, that's where the swicth sat.  I actually have one of them in my parts pile.....I was planing to use it as a poor man's posi-lok (but vacuum operated) on my old CAD axle but never did rig it up.  I ended up just locking the CAD collar in the engaged position.  I thought I would have a need for 2LO, but I didn't.