Milwaukee M18 Impact Questions

Minuit

I'll try to make this short. I'm in the market for a new impact wrench, and I have a bunch of the M18 batteries and a couple of chargers kicking around, so Milwaukee is the natural choice. My old Dewalt impact from the Ni-Cad days is pretty much spanked, and these new lithium ion tools are so much better than the old stuff I think I'll be happy with pretty much anything.

My question is this: Milwaukee has a ridiculous number of different M18 impact wrenches. I'm looking at the Compact Fuel models. Would I be disappointed if I went with a 3/8" over the 1/2"? I'm used to doing pretty much everything with hand tools and nothing I work on can be called "rusty" in any way. The 3/8" is also about $60 cheaper. I'm not opposed to ponying up for a more expensive impact if it's worth it, though. The guys talking about being able to take off suspension bolts with the 3/8" gun are making me curious.

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, Pete M said:

couldn't you buy it, try it, and return it if it fails to meet your needs? 

I could, and I might. I'm fairly sure that 210 ft lbs is enough for what I need. I might buy it on Amazon and immediately go try it on my buddy's nasty '91 Chevy that we've been working on together. That'll tell me if it's enough torque for sure.

Also: the compact 1/2" is out. It's not any more powerful than the compact 3/8" but costs more.

Comedy third option: the non-Fuel (so an old school brushed motor) 1/2" "High Torque" gun claiming 475 ft-lb for even cheaper with Prime shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Milwaukee-2663-20-18-Volt-Friction/dp/B002AKKJBS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Any thoughts? It sounds like that one requires a bit of break-in for it to work really well, but it sounds hard to beat for the price.

I went with the biggest, baddest 20v impact dewalt sells. I believe it is 700ftlbs?  it has yet to let me down. :D   I debated a lot over the lesser ones, but it boiled down to: this is not my normal, everyday go-to tool... if pull it out, it HAS to succeed.  plus I already have their impact driver which does a decent job with loosening most regular nuts/bolts. 

8 minutes ago, Minuit said:

I could, and I might. I'm fairly sure that 210 ft lbs is enough for what I need. I might buy it on Amazon and immediately go try it on my buddy's nasty '91 Chevy that we've been working on together. That'll tell me if it's enough torque for sure.

Also: the compact 1/2" is out. It's not any more powerful than the compact 3/8" but costs more.

Comedy third option: the non-Fuel (so an old school brushed motor) 1/2" "High Torque" gun claiming 475 ft-lb for even cheaper with Prime shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Milwaukee-2663-20-18-Volt-Friction/dp/B002AKKJBS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Any thoughts? It sounds like that one requires a bit of break-in for it to work really well, but it sounds hard to beat for the price.

Since you asked for thoughts............

My cordless tools are for construction. My mechanic's tools are for automotive. I never mix the two. I cannot go into someone's home and install a kitchen with dirty tools. 

I have an electric impact, Matco, good but........eh........dust collector. 

I have two Craftsman impacts, one is worthless, the other I've had for more than 20 years, old school, has been my go-to, good impact, handles everything OK.

Years ago I borrowed my late uncles IR impact, I've always wanted one but since I had a good one........why spend the $200? right?

Three weeks ago I was in a TSC which was swapping out displays and had one on discount, I talked it down another $10. 

Last week I had a chance to use it to remove the bed and related parts from my truck. 

Unsure of just how much torque.....I ever so lightly throttled the trigger.........effortlessly busted every nut/bolt, like it was nothing. 

It's not just torque that matters. 

Yeah I know, tethered to a compressor, but if you want a real impact? IR.

2Tmvnpa.jpg

GB8Jp7Q.jpg