New Comanche Addict

Nashmanche

1986, 2.5L 4WD Comanche X

Manual 5 Speed, Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front diffs

Odometer reads 168K+

Hello all, thought it was time to introduce us.

I found the truck this past New Years Eve about 60 miles from my house in Goodletteville, TN. It was originally bought brand new in Lafayette, TN and remained in TN its entire time. The PO I purchased it from inherited it from some other relative and it was just sitting in his backyard. Looks like I may be officially the third owner. I was bit by the bug when I bought my kid his 2001 XJ and just couldn't let this MJ sit there and rot away. 

It isn't the prettiest thing yet, especially when you get up close, but sure seems to have solid bones. No rust on the frame that I can see, but it was a work truck and has a lot of "character" marks about her. I drove it home the day I bought it, but she runs rough and stalled out a lot on me when I pushed the clutch in to brake. It is not currently registered and being driven since I already have two vehicles and want to take my time and do things right. First order of business is to finish the carport to put her under it for some protection from the weather until I can get my garage built. Looking into doing a Antique status registration so I can at least drive it on the weekends and for repair issues. You can see by the pics that the seats are no where close to original. Had I been 10lbs heavier the pics would now be showing my skeleton remains in it. I did manage to find a factory red bench seat to throw in for now while I work on her, which should make getting in and out easier, rather than a project in it self. For now, I plan on giving it a few inches of lift, replacing a lot of worn parts that have been neglected,  and just restoring it back to being a daily, or weekend, driver (I have 3 teenage boys fighting over it). It currently has a new gas tank, fuel pump/filter, plugs, wires and coil from PO, but needs so much more (don't they all?). When I get a chance, I will post some of my issues/concerns if I can't find previous posts. 

Have been doing some perusing of the CC site and gathering information. Such a great site/club that you all have here with information overload about almost any issue or concern. I have learned more in the last few months from here than I could have ever imagined, which just keeps fueling my new addiction. Anyway, been babbling long enough and look forward to learning from you all and sharing ideas. Thanks for having me. 

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

20 hours ago, Minuit said:

:waving: Hello neighbor!

I want to say I've seen this truck driving around before. Looks like it's pretty straight from your pics. Good to see more people from middle TN around here!

Yeah, it not too bad, but white does white is a forgiving color when it comes to bodywork. 

Yes, I see your just south of me. Maybe we'll be able to cross paths sometime.

15 hours ago, 13 Legion said:

Welcome aboard! It looks like you have a solid looking truck to work with. Plenty of members here to help and offer their advice. Just wondering what the seats and the console came out of? 

Thanks. Yeah, I can tell the support is great on here. That's huge to new comers. 

I couldn't tell you what the seats or console are out of. I gathered from our conversation that the PO inherited the vehicle, most likely reluctantly, and didn't really care about anything other than getting rid of it. The console is not bolted down, but it does fit pretty good in between the seats. I am sure it is an aftermarket piece, but no markings on it. The seats look to be kind of just cobbled in and not very well either. One of my first things to do soon will be to pull them and the carpet out to inspect the floors.

14 hours ago, JMO413 said:

Welcome to the addiction. Good looking start you have there. Those were definitely done interesting buckets in there.

Thanks for the welcome. Those buckets are a nightmare for me. Their all I have been thinking about since I bought it. Lol.