Brake adjustment hardware

Looking into why my ebrake is inop, I assumed it was because of a broken cable, apparently the P.O. removes the bolts/washers off of the threaded rod.    Anyone know what’s supposed to be there hardware wise?    Is it just a washer and a bit?   For some reason I remember a spring on my XJ but could be wrong.

Bonus points if anyone knows what thread size the threaded rod is.   I’ve tried every bit in my collection but nothing seems to go on smoothly.

thanks

That assembly is called the "equalizer"

The two wheel cables attach to a cross-bar that has a hole for the pedal cable between them.  

Into to that hole goes a slightly dished washer, plus a nut and a flat washer, all on the rear side.  The threaded rod from the pedal cable goes in through the front side.

I 'think' the rod is SAE/imperial/"English" thread.  The nut would be self-locking, but two conventional nuts jammed together would work just fine.  The dished washer can be replaced by a couple of ordinary washers or a short steel spacer.

Do you have any salvage yards nearby? I bet the hardware wouldn’t cost much, especially if you could pull it yourself. I will have to check to see what condition mine is on the parts cherokee tomorrow and see if it’s any good. The whole underside of it looks like the previous owner parked it in the ocean.