Good day at the junkyard for my KJ

mjeff87

Called off work today, just....because.  Took a trip up to a local-ish junkyard that I haven't been to for a long time.  They had 8 KJ's in there, I was looking for an OEM light bar.  No luck on that, but one of them had a set of stock front tow hooks:banana:

I actually had these on my birthday wish list, my wife was gonna get them for me to the tune of $125 online.  I almost felt too guilty when they rang them up.....$8.85:beerbang:. I cleaned them all up with a wire wheel on my bench grinder and shot them with 4 coats of rustoleum hammered black paint (I love that stuff).  I'll put them on this weekend, as I found out you just have to about pull the entire front end to access the fasteners:laugh:

image.jpeg

edit:. I also grabbed a rear glass flipper pad, now installed.  I pulled one off a KJ a couple months ago but twisted it all up trying to pry it off with a screwdriver and it didn't lay flat on the glass.  Pissed me off to no end.  This one I removed with a stiff blade putty knife, and used 3M clear double sided tape to install.  Yay.

Yup.  I didn't know what they would charge for them, but I was sure it was a helluva lot less than retail, so I just yanked them.

Looking at them, I would say they could probably be easily adapted to the rear frame rails of an MJ too.  Kinda like the factory rear XJ hook(s).   Wouldn't take much to make them work on either.

49 minutes ago, Pete M said:

:banana:

ya beat me!  I got ripped off.  mine were like 8 bucks per side :D  (written up as "2 small brackets")

I have bought SO many "small brackets" from the junkyard when the clerk has no idea what the part is. I used to tell them what the parts were but now I just keep my mouth shut :D

^^^true that:laugh:

I did also grab a bunch of "pocket stuff" that they don't bother charging for, but are OEM specific stuff.  Small clamps, brake master cap, plastic push rivets, tiny little light bulbs for the overhead console, flipper pad, and a little push connector/holder thingy for the rad fan connector that theboneheads that replaced my radiator broke off and "fixed" with a ziptie:mad:. It's all good though, because when I do pull a decent hard part I don't have any issues with paying their prices (which are still waaayyyy below retail).

Pete, does your KJ have a grab bar above the glove compartment (like TJ's have)?  I saw 3 different ones today that had them, never knew that was an option.  None of them had the same (charcoal) interior color as mine tho, so I didn't bother pulling one.  That might just be on my shopping list now.

4 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Pete, does your KJ have a grab bar above the glove compartment (like TJ's have)?  I saw 3 different ones today that had them, never knew that was an option.  None of them had the same (charcoal) interior color as mine tho, so I didn't bother pulling one.  That might just be on my shopping list now.

you mean my water bottle holder? :D  honestly I never noticed that any KJs didn't have them.  :dunno:  shows how much I pay attention.  

On 1/9/2019 at 7:42 PM, mjeff87 said:

I could use one in dark gray/charcoal if you come across it:beerbang:

Emptied out my change holder aka door handle today too.  Bumper crop, had $12.34.....mostly quarters.  Lol

Charcoal was a 2002-2004 interior option, and was gone for 2005+.

The grab handle came about for the 2004+ seats since the passenger seat had an occupancy sensor.

If you want a charcoal grab handle it has to come from a 2004.

That being said I do not know if the dash is different for where the handle attaches, and if you can even add it to a 2002/2003.

I did learn something though, the 2002 KJs had a different radio bezel that has two power outlets and a ashtray/change holder, I am very much enjoying this extra features in my KJ.