Rear view camera searching

Strokermjcomanche

Looking for someone with first hand experience on a rear view camera for my brothers 2014 Ford Explorer. It currently isn't equipped with one and his tiny wife has trouble backing up into the garage /traffic/etc . I'd like your first hand experience so I can get her a good system and not some grainy crap ,thanks in advance. 

I've installed one of those cheap Amazon ones that pluged into an aftermarket radio. Worked well and the picture was actually pretty good.   Install was very easy as well.   Does the explorer have a large screen already?  It's possible it may have a video input in the back but you'd have to research or take it out to see.  Otherwise it requires an aftermarket radio that supports video input.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_.gAgCbWMFFGC8

5 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

I've installed one of those cheap Amazon ones that pluged into an aftermarket radio. Worked well and the picture was actually pretty good.   Install was very easy as well.   Does the explorer have a large screen already?  It's possible it may have a video input in the back but you'd have to research or take it out to see.  Otherwise it requires an aftermarket radio that supports video input.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_.gAgCbWMFFGC8

It's just a base model , no screen . I'm fine with using one of the rear view monitors that replace the rear view mirror if need be . I know the limited version came with with a camera ,but I'm getting conflicting results if I can install everything in a base model. 

2 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

It's just a base model , no screen . I'm fine with using one of the rear view monitors that replace the rear view mirror if need be . I know the limited version came with with a camera ,but I'm getting conflicting results if I can install everything in a base model. 

As far as I know these camera systems are all universal and stand alone unless you try to utalize standard manufacturers equipment like a factory radio with a big screen, which I've never done myself. 

The only thing the camera itself needs is power from the reverse light wire and that sends a signal to whatever monitor that it needs to turn on and display the video feed.  It's a very simple and slick system.  I have only used it with aftermarket radios that support video input, never tried a mirror but I would imagine they are universal as well because it really only needs a power source and a feed from the camera. 

I would question tho, if she can't see very well because she's very small, would the video on the mirror be large enough for her to see clearly? 

I bought a camera that mounts above the license plate for my Silverado.  It has a small (3.5"?) screen of its own that sits on the top of the dash.  It only comes on in reverse (although that could be changed with custom wiring).

I use it primarily for hooking up trailers when by myself.  For that, it is awesome.

However, for general backing, the view is on the trailer hitch, so somewhat facing downward.  So while helpful for backing, the view is somewhat limited.  The camera can't be adjusted "higher", for a better view for backing.  Even if it could, it would then be useless for trailer hookup as soon as the hitch left the field of view.

It also has "guidelines" on the screen and an audible warning that is supposed to indicate when you are getting close to an object.  That function is unreliable, as I would suspect for a non OEM system.

So, awesome for trailer hookup, 'meh' for general backing.  Perhaps a camera mounted higher (on the tailgate) would be better for general backing, or a system that says it is designed for general backing versus trailer hookup.