new axles??

Wow you opened a few can of worms, probably with out even knowing it.

First off, it all depends on you, your driving/wheeling habits (got a heavy foot?), and your tire size. This is very important in determining if you really need new axles. Just cause people say it's weak doesn't mean it's going to blow on you randomly one day. Well...maybe...

If I was you I would first address the rear 35. The front 30 is pretty stout, and can be modified with simple things to make it much stronger (my 30 has 35" tires on it, holding up fine).

As far as the axle prices, there really is no standard. Some people get amazing deals from JY's (sometimes they have sales and i've heard of complete axles being had for $75). You will probably be paying way more to someone who has already pulled it out or even done some work to it.

BTW I don't think this should be in the classifieds area. :thwak:

It's more than fine for 32's, and moderate wheeling.

Street use, it's a perfectly fine axle, and there is no reason to replace it if it has not given you any hiccups. I guess if you tow/haul to capacity alot, a new rear axle might not be a bad decision for load purposes.

If you want proof, you need to check out Sir Fuego's ZJ. He beats the ever loving $#!& out of his ZJ with a 2" budget boost, and 32" swampers. I gave him some spare shafts I had because I didn't want him to get stranded 7hrs away in Rausch creek. He still has yet to change a shaft, and the axle has seen probably 5 times more aggressive abuse than most people throw at it. Lucky for him, he has a DD Dodge Ram, so if he breaks, he just needs to tow it home.

Do I recommend giving that axle the amount of inhumane treatment he has given it? If you want to have fun and really test the axles capabilities, have fun, other than that, No, he's gone far beyond the capabilities of that axle, and I think if he had a Limited slip, It would have been toast a long time ago.

I ran one in Pong In Tellico in 04 :eek: I busted 2 front shafts, and came home with a bent d35 but the axle held up to 33's and lots of abuse.

I also have a rig in the yard with a d35 in it :oops: on 33's :eek: and I drive that back in forth to work.. once the cage gets built :D its own like donkey kong :driving: comancheB.gif

The best deals in axle ussually mean buying a whole non-running piece of doo doo :nuts: and stripping it out :brows: Trust me I have bought more then one rig to strip to get a single part just to send the rest to the JY.

IF you were closer I could make you a decent deal on a D44/F9" combo

:cheers: well i'm in a 4x4 club so we do alot of mudding and trail riding plus we have a park here in hart michigan that we run too mainly every other weekend unless it's a special occasion i will have to post pics of it so u guy see what i need the axles for then maybe u guys can give me a yes or no answer on wether i should swap axles cuz i really have no idea what a 30/35 is capable of... jamminz.gif

sounds good well i am runing 35 ground hawgs right now cuz i got them 4 free so... will i still be ok u think?

:bowdown:

Even on the road, IMHO, that axle isn't going to hold very long. Either go to smaller tires, or upgrade the axle if you want the 35's...

sounds good well i am runing 35 ground hawgs right now cuz i got them 4 free so... will i still be ok u think?

:bowdown:

Even on the road, IMHO, that axle isn't going to hold very long. Either go to smaller tires, or upgrade the axle if you want the 35's...

we ran 35" BFGs on the same D35 my brother ran 33s on for years, for ONE day, it didnt even sound good. i'd upgrade as fast as possible.