T-case???

87 Sport Truck 5 speed with a 231. I need to no how to set the linkage. And one more thing could some one tell me what gears are where. I mean all the way down is neutral (right??) and then going back up toward the floor board.

Not as per the manual. However, it does say to do it that way for a YJ, IIRC.

What the manual says is to throw the shifter into 4lo. Undo the linkage adjuster (there's a bolt on the linkage beside the tcase). Then shift the case into 4lo if it isn't - just yard on the linkage, you'll know when it's in. Maybe. Then you put a 1/8" or so spacer between the tcase shift handle and the bracket it is in, so that the handle is 1/8" from the rear stop when in the 4lo position. Then tighten up the adjuster nut. Then remove the spacer and verify it shifts right.

Not as per the manual. However, it does say to do it that way for a YJ, IIRC.

What the manual says is to throw the shifter into 4lo. Undo the linkage adjuster (there's a bolt on the linkage beside the tcase). Then shift the case into 4lo if it isn't - just yard on the linkage, you'll know when it's in. Maybe. Then you put a 1/8" or so spacer between the tcase shift handle and the bracket it is in, so that the handle is 1/8" from the rear stop when in the 4lo position. Then tighten up the adjuster nut. Then remove the spacer and verify it shifts right.

i was pretty sure that wasn't 100% right (but it does work) , thanks guys.

i read the manual and it did not sink in i guess :nuts:

on the t-case under the truck no linkage attached 4low would be all the way up right???

all the way towards the rear axle will be 4lo

(trust me, my brothers linkage was broken for a while so it required manual shifting)

use pliers or something to grab the little nub that sticks out and pull on it, or if its not hot you can pull it back by hand with a little 'uumph'

will then i am going to have to do something becouse that is neutral for me. I am going to have to go out and see if i can get it to go back some more then.

yeah, try rolling the truck some because you're supposed to be moving ~1-2mph when you shift into 4lo so the gears might not be perfectly aligned, basically just rock it back and forth and eventually you will be able to slip it in.

will then i am going to have to do something becouse that is neutral for me. I am going to have to go out and see if i can get it to go back some more then.

yeah, try rolling the truck some because you're supposed to be moving ~1-2mph when you shift into 4lo so the gears might not be perfectly aligned, basically just rock it back and forth and eventually you will be able to slip it in.

thanks i will try this

Thanks guys