Radiator hose replacement

Hey guys just looking for some advice here. The lower radiator hose on my MJ has developed a small leak. Plan on replacing it tomorrow and was wondering if I should flush/drain all the old fluid out and replace with new while doing this. Also the lower right hose that I'm replacing (if facing the Jeep from the front) has one of those prrotective sleeves on it. Is it necessary to replace this from the old hose to the new one. Or even source another one? Thanks in advance just haven't had to do this on my jeeps before 👍🏻

Not sure how long you have had the truck, but changing the coolant while you are at it doesn't hurt. If you have the closed cooling system, it will take some time to refill your cooling system. Meaning fill, run, stop, cool.....fill, run, stop, cool....a few times.

If I understand your reference to a "protective sleeve" to mean the plastic mesh weave over the hose......just move if over from the old hose.

Please add your vehicle information to your signature. Instructions on how to do so are on the first page of this forum. It will help all of us by knowing what you have since there are differences from 1986-1992.

20181001_200533.jpg

You'll pretty much completely drain the system as soon as you take the hose off, so have a couple gallons of coolant on hand. You'll get most of it in one replacement, but to be sure you get all of the old coolant out you'll probably want to drain the fluid again shortly after.

You will want to transfer the protective sleeve. Don't forget the spring inside of the old hose, it will also need to be transferred over. That one's kind of a pain.

39 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Don't forget the spring inside of the old hose, it will also need to be transferred over. That one's kind of a pain.

Forget transferring the internal spring over if you use a quality lower hose like a Gates or Goodyear. The newer modern hoses use stronger ribbed rubber compounds and the spring is no longer necessary. Been running a Gates lower hose for years with w. no spring with a Hesco high flow pump with zero problems in an open cooling system. Even with the Renix closed system it should be fine.