Re gear Dana 44 3.07-4.88

Hi, I'm looking to re gear my d44 out of a mj that will be going into my v8 yj. I have the d30 with 4.10 that I'm planning to regear it to 4.88 on the front. Do I only need to order the ring and pinion for the d44 for the rear? Will the stock carrier work? Thanks 

The front and rear axle ratios must match. Since the 4.88 ratio you are going to for the front and is numerically higher than the rear D44 carrier break, you will have to use a "thick" 4.88 R&P gear set like those linked below. I went from 3.55 to 4.10 with my D44 years ago using Yukon "thick" gears so I could retain the original Trac-Lok carrier, and it worked well.

M95344746.jpg

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-16500970-yukon-dana-44-4-88-thick-ring-pinion.html

if your at 3.07 you will need the carrier pinion as well. They have what are called thick gears, but they will not go that thick. Say you had a 3.55 and wanted to go 4.10 which is the thickest you could get you can get away with ring and pinion.

Here in the show we do regearing 5 to 6 a month. If your going to do it your self, give your self a few days to get the alignment right when putting the gears to gather. Best bet to find a guy who is good at it. over 4.10 and that thing is turning very fast and if not straight or only got a bite of the teeth you will be up a creek soon.

So long story short you going to need carrier ring & pinion for both front and back

2 hours ago, dvitha said:

if your at 3.07 you will need the carrier pinion as well. They have what are called thick gears, but they will not go that thick. Say you had a 3.55 and wanted to go 4.10 which is the thickest you could get you can get away with ring and pinion.

Not true. 4.88 ratio "thick" R & P for D44 available here:

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-16500970-yukon-dana-44-4-88-thick-ring-pinion.html

Description

Yukon Gear 4.88 Thick Ring & Pinion for Dana 44 (Tech Note) Carrier break is 3.73/4.10, Look for Thick Cut gears to retain original carrier, marked with a T.

Many other vendors also sell these.

If I read correct your rear is a dana44 with 3.07 on it, that you can not get a thick gear to get to 4.88 you can only get to a 3.73 on a 3.07 carrier. Yes above shows if you have a dana44 with a 3.73 /4.10 you can get a thick gear to 4.88 and retain carrier

I am assuming you got a 3.07 since it says in tittle   

Re gear Dana 44 3.07-4.88

Your front dana 30 will depend on 1 factor, if it was already converted from 3.07 to 4.10 with a thick gear if that was so need new carrier. If it was the factory 4.10 you can get a thick gear for the dana 30 and need no new carrier .

The Dana 30 is from a 4 cylinder. They all came stock with the 4.10.

I believe the metric ton mj only came with the 3.07 or 3.55. I believe mine is 3.07 but I will find out tonight. so you guys are saying I will need a new carrier or not?? Or just thick gears. That's all for parts needed to re gear?  Thanks

a 4banger with the 4spd manual will have 3.55 gears.  :L:   2.5/5spd would have 4.10 and 2.5L/auto would have 4.56.  anything 84-86 can have weird ratios too.  plus anything could have happened in the last 30 years.  the only way to know for sure is to check.  :D 

Metric ton MJs got the same ratio that they would have had without the MT package.  4.0/stick got 3.07,  4.0/auto got 3.55, and 2.5/2.8 stick got 4.10s :L: 

Or....if you do have the 30 -4:10.....save some cash and find a 8.8......4:10 and posi with big disk brakes will be easy to find....you never said if you were going spring under or over....I stay under.....but either would be as much fab work or less as any you will find........but your initial investment will be much less

The 8.8 is almost 2  inch passenger side offset and my driveline ended up being 1 inch offset driver side. This being 3  inch offset too much for my liking on a 14 inch driveshaft. That's why I decided to go with the 44. Spring under final result. Ok I will order the carrier for the 44 also thanks