Catalytic Converter

My Comanche has California's stringent emissions. I am about to have a complete stainless exhaust put on it. (409 SS). Will it need a Cali type converter or can I use a universal bullet type converter and if so, will it throw a 'check engine' idiot light, often? It will also receive a Magnaflow OE replacement muffler, also stainless!

You're not in California.

This is an '87 MJ? There is no "Check Engine" light. The only light is an "Emissions Maintenance" light, and that's only a mechanical timer that reminds you to change the oxygen sensor at 80,000 miles.

Sorry about that, Rookie here! And I keep getting 'wrong info' from my so-called Jeep pros... lol! So, I could run it, without a cat, by having a cat delete made, for in between inspections?

Oh wait a minute here, it does have an oxygen sensor, so without a cat, that will mess with that crummy thing... right?

No problem. The Renix computers have no "Cali" version like the HOs, just manual/standard tranny versions. They don't care about the exhaust either. They don't have any memory, so it a new ballgame every time you start it up.

4 hours ago, RestoringNV said:

Sorry about that, Rookie here! And I keep getting 'wrong info' from my so-called Jeep pros... lol! So, I could run it, without a cat, by having a cat delete made, for in between inspections?

Oh wait a minute here, it does have an oxygen sensor, so without a cat, that will mess with that crummy thing... right?

You're about 15 or 20 years too modern. OBD-2 systems have a second O2 sensor downstream of the catalytic converter, to monitor how well it's doing its job. The Renix system only has one O2 sensor, right off the manifold. All it monitors is the oxygen content as the exhaust leaves the engine -- it has no way of knowing whether or not there's a cat somewhere downstream. Its only purpose is to control the air-fuel mixture.

The universal bullet type, will be just clamped on. I will remove it, directly after inspection. Buy it one time, just for state laws. If the converter is welded on, at some point in time it will fail, then it will need to be cut off and replaced. Forget that! Oh how I miss my Cummins... lol!

Additionally, I think that my Comanche will be classified as exempt, this time next year. Here in PA, if a vehicle is driven under 5,000 miles, then they are considered to be exempt of emissions inspections!

Say goodbye to the cat, for good!

12 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

No problem. The Renix computers have no "Cali" version like the HOs, just manual/standard tranny versions. They don't care about the exhaust either. They don't have any memory, so it a new ballgame every time you start it up.

Sorry if I am opening another can of worms here. 

HOrnbrod, you said 'just manual/standard tranny versions' my truck is a 5-speed AX15, is this a possible glitch? 

According to the Renix people, the 90 computer is supposedly a performance upgrade over the 88-89 versions, and I've seen guys do this using using both auto and standard computers regardless of their transmission version with no ill effects, so I doubt it. But I'm certainly no Renix expert and I'm sure someone else will chime in.

In PA if the car can with an emissions system the emissions system must be on the car.  In many areas of the state there is no emissions test so the emissions system does not need to be functional - just installed.  So if you don't need an emissions test you will still need to have a cat. installed.  I live in a part of the state where emissions testing is not required.    On my 90 Comanche, I removed my cat.and removed all the ceramic from the inside then reinstalled the cat. The engine runs fine and it passes inspection.