Risky Business: Paint Removal

The PO rattle canned my 88 with flat black. I want to remove the flat only. :crazy: I've been reading on other forums about options, but wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with this scenario.

I know the factory paint, Colorado Red with Gold Stripe, is not in great shape. However, I think I'd rather have crappy factory paint then this current crappy, faded, peeling flat black.

I had the same issue with mine.  I didnt want to mess with chemicals so I ended up just using a wire wheel and stripped it down to the factory primer or straight to bare steel, then repainted.  It worked quite well and the wire wheel won't dig into the metal like a flap disk so you don't have to worry about an uneven surface.  You could just use a sander but it would take forever. 

I used this https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Ultra-Cut-Compound/dp/B001O7PNW8 to buff out the oxidation from my paint with a rotary buffer from Harbor Freight.  It will cut down to factory primer or metal if you go at it long enough (which is quicker than one might think, I got a little thin in some places).  I've rattle can painted some body work areas that I did and then rattle canned it with a good quality clear coat.  I had to do a little buffing on the clear coat where it got a little orange peel finish to it on the hood where it's hard to get a real even finish.

https://www.thepaintwarehouseinc.com/axalta-cromax-a-7480s-acrylic-trim-jam-clearcoat/  I get mine from a local auto paint supply store.

6 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I had the same issue with mine.  I didnt want to mess with chemicals so I ended up just using a wire wheel and stripped it down to the factory primer or straight to bare steel, then repainted.  It worked quite well and the wire wheel won't dig into the metal like a flap disk so you don't have to worry about an uneven surface.  You could just use a sander but it would take forever. 

How is your rattle can paint job holding up? 

43 minutes ago, DDJeep89 said:

How is your rattle can paint job holding up? 

Fantastic.  Just as good as it looked day one.  People still give me the, I don't believe you face when I tell them.  I have to point out my run on the front fender to convince them.  The only problem I've had with it is that I door dinged myself and it took some paint off easier than real auto paint would, but it didn't go through the primer.  The nice part is I can easily touch it up with extra paint I've got.  I've driven it through pine tree branches and under oak trees and it gets surface scratches like any paint would but nothing through the clear coat.  I would definitely do it again, you really can't beat a $100 paint job that is holding up like this.  It really is all in the prep work.  

12 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Fantastic.  Just as good as it looked day one.  People still give me the, I don't believe you face when I tell them.  I have to point out my run on the front fender to convince them.  The only problem I've had with it is that I door dinged myself and it took some paint off easier than real auto paint would, but it didn't go through the primer.  The nice part is I can easily touch it up with extra paint I've got.  I've driven it through pine tree branches and under oak trees and it gets surface scratches like any paint would but nothing through the clear coat.  I would definitely do it again, you really can't beat a $100 paint job that is holding up like this.  It really is all in the prep work.  

I'm finishing some bodywork and still have not decided what route to take with paint. Part of me likes the idea and price of the route you took. Your paint job looks real good and you saved a lot of money. I've never painted a vehicle myself with  base/clear, or single stage paint but I'm tempted to give it a shot. Either way I'd do the work myself. Decisions decisions.:brickwall:

I had never done it myself either.  I just did a bunch of research on proper prep work and took my time.   The paint and primer go on super easy, the hardest part was the clear coat because it's so thin that it wants to run on the vertical surfaces. 

Also if you rattlecan, get a spray can handle, it's an absolute lifesaver.