no start, bad starter?

my comanche has been sitting for a while, i went to start it the other day and it didnt do anything, not a suprise, so i grabbed the trickle charger we had and started charging it. when i push the button to start it (installed by previous owner) it sounds like the starter moter will turn over once and then stop, like it doesnt have enough power. today i ran a set of jumper cables over from my car to jump it but it did the same thing, if i held the button it would do a "wooorrr...one second pause...wooorrr" and repeate that.

so it either seams that I'm not able to provide enough amperage for it to turn over correctly or i have a falty part somewhere. anyone have this before?

Thanks, Jonathan

Every time that happens to me it's either a super-dead battery, or (far more often) some poor connections at the ends of the battery cables. Try cleaning them up to see if it makes a difference.. Do the cables themselves look to be in good shape? Are you getting decent voltage from the battery?

Even though it shows 12 volts, it doesn't necessarily mean that enough amps are getting to the starter. Bad connections or corrosion can stop amps in their tracks.

when my truck had issues cranking, (similar to yours, seemed like battery problems) the volts would read at 12 when i turned the key to run, then when i went to hit the starter the gauge would drop down.

when i press the button (turn the key) the gauge goes from arond 12 and drops to nothing. then slowly climbs back up

i also forgot to say that its a battery from walmart, so a pooie battery is not out of the question.

check your battery terminals and if you still have problems maybe pick some new terminals up form the parts store and just strip the existing wires and put them in the new terminals... thats what cause my issues... some smacking off the terminals with a wrench or something also helps sometimes if theyre not TO bad.

Just pull the starter motor and take it to Auto Zone or Advance Auto (or Checkers, or Shucks, depending on where you live) and have them bench test it. It sounds like you have a bad starter. However, it's also possible that the engine is all rusted up inside and the starter doesn't have enough power to make it turn. Remove the spark plugs, put a wrench on the crank pulley bolt, and see if you can turn the engine over by hand.