beefing up dana 30...how to

I don't know why you would need to beef up a high pinion D30? For 95% of us, the D30 will be more than sufficient. It was run in the CJs with the V8s. I will swap in solid axles in mine, going with the 297 ujoint's. Its plenty of axle. I have the D30 in my TJ, it runs ARB's with 456 gears, never broke anything in it. It totes 35's and gets wheeled hard. Go solid axle (I plan on going with rustys setup for steering) and upgrade the steering and its will be fine.

There are a bunch of advantages to doing something like this, mostly the ability to un lock the hubs so the front and can free spin. To me his article was well written, but seems as though he went around his a$$ to get to his elbow. He spent just as much time figuring out what had to be done, and then doing it. If He hadnt had the parts laying around it wouldn't have been a good swap if you ask me.

to spend that much time/money and effort on a D30 seems a waste to me.

If I was going to spend that much effort for a front axle, it would at least be a 44.

I've made the determination that when the time comes that I've outgrown my D30/8.8 combo I'm just gonna do a 14 bolt and front 60.

Why bother with anything else, when you know you're gonna end up there eventually.

Shave the snot out of the housings, run 36's and never worry about breaking an axle.

yep, it's something like $1k.

the warn kit has some advantages, but again, for that much money I could PAY someone to put a front 44 under my junk.

Like I said, seems to me that when people start breaking the D30 they're all concerned with beefing it up. Bottom line is that it's a light duty truck axle. It's a lot more durable than most give it credit for, but 35's are pretty much the absolute max for it. Even if you alloy it up, you're still looking at a small ring gear. I've personally seen 3 D30s that were locked with alloys eat half the ring gear teeth.

thanks for fixin the link man. :cheers:

the D30 isnt that bad, if you're goin with a 35 or less a d44 swap isnt worth it unless you wheel CRAZY hard itll stand up to 35s pretty good.

I think I'm getting to the crazy hard part.

Something about smoking the snot out of bias ply 34" tsls in tellico.

lol. regardless of whether it's worth $$$ to beef one up, if you have the parts and only have to invest $300 into it...well, I say why not. it makes a fun project and it's not something anyone else has ever seen.

just like the chrysler 8.25 test front end that was just on ebay a bit ago...it was pretty interesting to see since it was a chrysler attempt to upgrade the dana 30 front axle in xj's